Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Put this one together and got to shoot it today. Waiting on my mueller scope so forgive me.
85^ 5 mph wind ,brownells receiver, green mtn. Barrel, Boyd’s stock, Cnc bolt and handle, ruger bx trigger and my old
faithful bsa 3-9 AO scope. 25 yds zeroed and seasoned with tac22, then switched to rws rifle match.

Attachments

·
37,366 Posts
Green Mtn has what I think of as the best bang for the buck with barrels. I have built 5-8 SuperStock 10\22 with their heavy taper barrels. The one on my African Rose is a 19" and it shot 23 straight groups under 1\4" @ 50 yds!

That is a very nice looking rifle!

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
Update: mueller 4x14 apv scope came in. Give me just a little more than the bsa scope. That’s my girl at my feet.
View attachment 312040
the Mueller APV is one of my favorite budget build scopes... I have a half dozen of them....just for something different, I just recently picked up 1 in silver....and sticking with the budget philosophy, I generally use Leupold Rifleman rings to attach them to the rail

·
Premium Member
59,097 Posts
I have a couple of Green Mtn barreled 10/22's one of which barrels I bought from Ricochet, they are both good shooters, they give up very little to my Kidd barreled 10/2 frankly.

19 in. Heavy Taper

17 in. Heavy Taper

16 in. Kidd Bull Barrel

I think these are the right photos.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
forgot to ask, which GM barrel did you choose?

I've purchased a few barrels during the GM 12 days of Xmas sale events that they've had in the past, so I do have a few, and so far I haven't had a dud..

the GM herd consists of..
1 17 inch Heavy Taper in blue, and 2 in ss
1 19 inch Heavy Taper in ss
2 16.5 inch blued barrels 1 in 22LR and a fluted one in 17M2

built most of these for the kids awhile back, so everything, but the 19 inch HT and the 17M2, are in laminate Compact stocks..

the 19 inch HT is in a DSP, and the 17M2 is in a beech Compact, they were built for my use 😊

and going shooting in 85* weather sounds like heaven..it was 112* here in Yuma today

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
forgot to ask, which GM barrel did you choose?

I've purchased a few barrels during the GM 12 days of Xmas sale events that they've had in the past, so I do have a few, and so far I haven't had a dud..

the GM herd consists of..
1 17 inch Heavy Taper in blue, and 2 in ss
1 19 inch Heavy Taper in ss
2 16.5 inch blued barrels 1 in 22LR and a fluted one in 17M2

built most of these for the kids awhile back, so everything, but the 19 inch HT and the 17M2, are in laminate Compact stocks..

the 19 inch HT is in a DSP, and the 17M2 is in a beech Compact, they were built for my use 😊

and going shooting in 85* weather sounds like heaven..it was 112* here in Yuma today
It’s the 19” heavy tapered. I bore sighted the new scope last night. But it’s been a Cooker here in the Mountains of East TN. Also. I setup a tent and still shot at 103^. Told my wife I was testing ammo at different temps. She kept saying it’s to hot. Down to 92^ today. May have to put on a jacket, lol. Those are some nice rifles.

·
Premium Member
10,433 Posts
Do you think that helps with the harmonics of the barrel? I like the look.
Well.. it dont hurt🤔
It shoots better than the std profile GM I have in a DLX sporter stock, but could be because it’s heavier and longer.But that just could be me.
Its just fun to have something different at the range , and field the questions from the other folks. And then see their faces whenthey shoot a tiny little group with it😀

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Nice rifle & great groups without spending a ton on a KID. I had a GM heavy taper 17" years ago that used to beat my freinds $1500 Volquartzen rifle.
I'll have to try that mueller scope.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
It’s the 19” heavy tapered. I bore sighted the new scope last night. But it’s been a Cooker here in the Mountains of East TN. Also. I setup a tent and still shot at 103^. Told my wife I was testing ammo at different temps. She kept saying it’s to hot. Down to 92^ today. May have to put on a jacket, lol. Those are some nice rifles.
supposed to be cooler here today too...only 109* today, with it hovering around 105* (or slightly above), all next week

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice rifle & great groups without spending a ton on a KID. I had a GM heavy taper 17" years ago that used to beat my freinds $1500 Volquartzen rifle.
I'll have to try that mueller scope.
I realize the mueller scopes aren’t high end, but they suit me well. The 8x32 does wash at @32x so I back it off to about 30x and it is pretty clear.
i am saving for a Kidd trigger. 3 in college puts limits on me, but then again so does my wife.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
going to zero, then see what some older blazer and Norma match 22 will do. To be honest the tac22 has proven to be imo better than the match. But the barrel will decide that.
Cigar Tobacco Cigarette Font Drink

Black Guitar Material property Camera Font

Flooring Road surface Floor Office supplies Gas

1 - 20 of 29 Posts