Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Green Mtn barrel shoots but ROUGH!

867 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Bucks Owin
Managed to dot off a tight 5 shot (approx .10") 25 yd group this weekend (would attach photo if I could...) with my GM "second" barrel from Boyds and Wolf M/T ammo. These barrels can SHOOT!

One thing I've noticed however is that this barrel is ROUGH! Close inspection with a magnifying glass and strong light reveals spiral machine marks running the length of the bore (look like faint "threads"). I lapped this barrel with tight patches and jeweller's rouge in an effort to smooth up the bore but it still takes a LOT of patches and plenty of effort to remove ALL the leading after an afternoon's worth of shooting. (And that is after running a cleaning patch through the bore every 20 shots or so...) Is it only the "2nd" barrels that show these rough machining marks in the bore or is this a GM trait? This extended barrel cleaning is getting me down!!!

Can't complain accuracy-wise though, that's for sure!

Dennis :eek:

BTW Now that I've put about 500 rds through the rifle, it is finally functioning pretty good with target velocity ammo. Guess it just needed a little break-in...
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Well I don't know about the seconds, mine have all been new factory barrels. Well I do have one that recieved the wrong finish which got me a discount, but to call it a second wouldn't be fair. Mine haven't been rough as you described. Keep in mind that yes some barrels won't be perfect but to change cutters after each barrel and chamber reamers after each one is about the only way to get one after the other perfect and free of markings short of hand polishing every darn thing, but of course then the cost of the barrel would go up dramatically!

If you want a near perfect barrel go get a Lilja for just over three hundred bucks and check it out too, you'll most likely find less markings from the machining, but I'll also bet you find some on the Lilja too.

Dave Z.

· Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gmcfixer said:
Well I don't know about the seconds, mine have all been new factory barrels. Well I do have one that recieved the wrong finish which got me a discount, but to call it a second wouldn't be fair. Mine haven't been rough as you described. Keep in mind that yes some barrels won't be perfect but to change cutters after each barrel and chamber reamers after each one is about the only way to get one after the other perfect and free of markings short of hand polishing every darn thing, but of course then the cost of the barrel would go up dramatically!

If you want a near perfect barrel go get a Lilja for just over three hundred bucks and check it out too, you'll most likely find less markings from the machining, but I'll also bet you find some on the Lilja too.

Dave Z.
Thanks for the reply Dave. Considering that the GM "2nd" only cost $35 and groups so well, I'll just keep scrubbing I guess....LOL

(I wonder if firing a dozen or so rounds with polishing compound smeared on the bullet would speed up the "self polishing"?!?)

Dennis

· Registered
1,167 Posts
I am also in the process of breaking in a fifty buck Boyd's powder coated barrel. It had paint in the muzzel which shot out pretty fast. It is going to be a good shooter. The chamber is rough and will need 500+rounds to break in. I know GM had something to do with these barrels but not everything. I have never seen a 11 degree crown on a GM 10-22 barrel. Anyway whoever made them they are an awfully good barrel for what they cost. I figure the powder coat will make a good primer coat if I want to sand it and make myself a colored barrel.

· Registered
836 Posts
Bucks Owin said:
Thanks for the reply Dave. Considering that the GM "2nd" only cost $35 and groups so well, I'll just keep scrubbing I guess....LOL

(I wonder if firing a dozen or so rounds with polishing compound smeared on the bullet would speed up the "self polishing"?!?)

Dennis
Bucks Owin,

I wouldn't bother doing ANY polishing job. If your barrels giving you good groups then doing a polishing job is just a waste of effort. Just keep shooting and it'll polish itself. Also when you clean your barrel I believe you not giving the solvent time to work on the fouling. When I do such a chore I pull three wet patches through the bore and let it sit for about 15-30 minutes before giving it one more wet patch and dry ones.

wmrimfire,22

· Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wmrimfire said:
Bucks Owin,

I wouldn't bother doing ANY polishing job. If your barrels giving you good groups then doing a polishing job is just a waste of effort. Just keep shooting and it'll polish itself. Also when you clean your barrel I believe you not giving the solvent time to work on the fouling. When I do such a chore I pull three wet patches through the bore and let it sit for about 15-30 minutes before giving it one more wet patch and dry ones.

wmrimfire,22
Fouling isn't my problem, (powder fouling at least) LEADING is the problem. I'm using good ol' "parfume de la Hoppes #9" (because I've got a lot of it and I've used it for 35 yrs with good results even if I have to let it soak overnight like when I want to get the green copper fouling out of my centerfire rifles) I'm talking TIGHT patches 30 or 40 times and still not getting the lead out of the rough spots in the GM tube. But like you said, it shoots great so I'll just put up with it........

Thanks,

Dennis

· Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RWAL said:
Anyway whoever made them they are an awfully good barrel for what they cost. I figure the powder coat will make a good primer coat if I want to sand it and make myself a colored barrel.
Amen on the value!!! Mine had a blemish at the "warning" area and I ended up taking off the "powdercoat" (came off awfully easy!?!) with a flap wheel and die grinder. Then I gave it a sandblast with glass/oxide and put a half dozen coats of clear on it. Looks pretty good, just like "French Gray" IMHO...

Dennis

· Registered
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgnoi1
Where did you find GM "2nds"???

RX7-2nr said:
yeah- where do people find these barrels?
I bought 2 of the $55 powdercoated barrels from Boyd's a few months ago. They were out of the $35 ones at the time. Last I heard they may be out of them. Would be worth a call, if you are interested. Mine are GREAT!

· Registered
836 Posts
Bucks Owin said:
Fouling isn't my problem, (powder fouling at least) LEADING is the problem. I'm using good ol' "parfume de la Hoppes #9" (because I've got a lot of it and I've used it for 35 yrs with good results even if I have to let it soak overnight like when I want to get the green copper fouling out of my centerfire rifles) I'm talking TIGHT patches 30 or 40 times and still not getting the lead out of the rough spots in the GM tube. But like you said, it shoots great so I'll just put up with it........

Thanks,

Dennis
Dennis,

I'm so surprised how much leading your getting out of that bore! I really now wonder just how rough your bore is? Even for a seconds from Green Mountain that's unusual. Have you considered calling them? Could it be that you barrel MAY be a seconds BUT made it past the last stage of the finishing process. I can only imagine in my mind what it looks like. It might be comparable to my Charter Arms AR-7 survival ifle. Now that bores rough!!! Anyway regardless the most important in the crown. You have a good solvent I use Hoppe's some of the time. It all depends on which bottle is grabbed. Right now I'm using "Break-Free's" bore cleaner. It appears to be pretty darn good stuff not too caustic smelling. Usually I use MP-Pro7 as it has not smell what so ever.

wmrimfire,22

· Registered
20 Posts
Rough Bore

FWIW, I noticed that the latest Midway flyer has a .22 cal. bore lapping kit from Tubb, which uses lapping compound in progressively finer grits to polish the bore. I don't know whether that would be better than the elbow grease/jeweler's rouge method of yours or not especially in view of the accuracy of the barrel.
Being the lazy person that I am, if I decide I have such a problem, I would opt for the Tubb kit.
Regards , Aitch Dog

· Registered
267 Posts
I ordered a Boyds 55 dollar seconds barrel this spring and have not shot a whole lot of groups with it but I have run 4 bricks of high velocity cheap .22 ammo through it. I shot a few groups with Dynapoints and Remington Target and the Dynapoints outdid it everytime. Best group I have had so far is a .5 inch at 50 yards. Once I get the VG Hammer the groups will tighten up significantly. I have been nothing but impressed with the GM Boyds barrel.

· Registered
2,236 Posts
Next time you get the urge to lap your barrel, use some JB Bore Paste. It has some abrasive in it and will do more to smooth the bore than jewelers rouge. Jewelers rouge is for polishing things like gold and silver, which are very soft, so it has a very fine abrasive in it that won't do much poilishing to steel, let alone taking out tool marks.
Shooters Choice has a lead remover they sell. It will take out the lead in a barrel. Run a patch wet with the stuff and leave it sit for 15 minutes, then clean the barrel as usual.
Don

· Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dbuckbee said:
Next time you get the urge to lap your barrel, use some JB Bore Paste. It has some abrasive in it and will do more to smooth the bore than jewelers rouge. Jewelers rouge is for polishing things like gold and silver, which are very soft, so it has a very fine abrasive in it that won't do much poilishing to steel, let alone taking out tool marks.
Shooters Choice has a lead remover they sell. It will take out the lead in a barrel. Run a patch wet with the stuff and leave it sit for 15 minutes, then clean the barrel as usual.
Don
Thanks Don, I had thought about getting some JB paste and am gonna give it a try.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.