Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about the .50 BMG and it throwing a 700 grain, Bullet I got to wondering how many grains make a pound. I got to looking on the net and found that there are three diffent grain measurements. I tried one and i think Im right.

7000 grains to 1 pound.
So if that is right 1/10 700 grains. .22lr., 40grain = 1/175 of a pound?

Right, Wrong?

Dean_311

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about grains of gun powder? You can measure powder by grains to right? Or is grains the number of grains of gun powder?

Dean_311

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You'll know when grains is confused with grams by the powder overflowing the reloading press. No smoking please.:p Well, that's better than loading 300 air shots the night before your first Steel Challenge match. Got done at 3:30 AM.:(

·
Registered
316 Posts
This may be a little off topic but I got tired of digging my scientific calculator out when I wanted to compare muzzle energy of different 22 rounds so I memorized the conversion from grains to slugs(lb-mass) so I could calculate muzzle energy. The equation is simple enough as most know kinetic energy = (1/2) X mass X(velocity squared) . You can do this calculation in grains but it comes out with funky units. You end up with [grs X ft^2/sec^2] if you convert the grs to slugs then you get [slugs X ft^2/sec^2] since [slugs X ft/sec^2] is [lbs] you get ft X lbs. Well after all that all I really needed to say is that 1 grain = approximately 0.00000444 slugs.

It always bugs me the way in the in the old English system of measure we do it the right weighing things in lbs. which is a force {mass X acceleration}. It never made sense to me that in the metric system everyone weighs thing in grams or kilograms. grams are mass not force or weight. Force and weight have the same units. Metric scales should read in netwons not grams. Oh well. Just remeber1 grain is 4.44e-6 slug and if you want that mass in its pounds weight on this planet then multiply by 32.17 ft/sec^2

Later
mcb

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
mcb,

Here's an idea!

Find a sexy female partner and some guy willing to dress up in a big rat suit......

OH! Wait! "Beekman's World" already did that! ;)

(Don't laugh, it's one of my favorites!)

:D

·
Registered
396 Posts
The person posted several one letter posts in order (it appears) to build past the 25 requirement for entering in the for sale section.

I had asked him about it, he became very defensive and wanted to know what my problem was. Said his dog spilled coke over his keyboard a week ago.

I wished him well on his cleanup and was sorry about the misunderstanding...and informed him that his posts in the for sale section came out just fine.

Its not the rules per se, but I became very tired of seeing over 9 different posts with a single letter.

would you purchase anything from this person with confidence?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.