Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy got in a bunch of new gun parts over the weekend and I went to see how his new gun was coming; well, when I got there, I was astonished at what I saw.

He ordered a Volquartsen trigger group & bolt, a Butler Creek SS fluted barrel, and a Hogue overmold stock.

Here is what is odd --

When the receiver is put into the stock, there is a huge gap between the back of the receiver and stock. I am talking about an inch here. Same thing on the top and on the bottom. Very odd and very ugly.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this normal?

Another disappointment was with the barrel itself. The chamber was way too tight and I had to take a conical grinding stone and open it up a hair. It was so tight, the bolt wasn't moving hard enough to sink the round into the chamber so we were getting a lot of FTF & FTE malfunctions. After I hit it with the stone, it smoothed it right up.

Anyway -- can someone just advise on the receiver to stock fit? Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Howdy,

Seems to me that your friends stock may be for the 10/22 magnum.

Out of curiosity, what type of ammo(s) are giving you the problems?

Also, getting a new extractor will help ejecting, factory extractors aren't that great.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See, that was my idea as well -- the 10/22 magnum, but, the package said 10/22 in two places. Yeah, maybe the contents got switched; I dunno. I'll try to have him snap a picture and e-mail it to me and post it on here tonight.

As far as ammo, it was bulk Remington golden stuff.

And with the extractor, it is the extractor on the Volquartsen bolt. It is heavy duty and bites the brass quite well. Actually, it is so heavy duty, it was eating into the barrel where the metal where it recesses. That isn't causing a problem that we can see and the barrel's metal is wearing down to clear 100% room for the extractor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry, I missed the VQ bolt part.

Anyhow, I think the golden bullets do not feed well in many people's 10/22 rifles.

Grinding the breech end of the chamber to open it a little more will help feeding, but it may also hurt the precision a bit. Not saying it will or it did, it just isn't something to recommend to everyone, if you follow.

Also, there is the tips & tricks magazine fix that really helps feeding.

Perhaps your friend could sell or trade his mag stock for a lr stock, which is probably the case if he has extra room around the reciever.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick, I have already used a conical grinding stone to open the chamber just a hair. It is hardly noticable and I basically just took off the "cutting edge" that it had. The rounds feed flawlessly now.

As far as the stock goes, he has contacted the seller to try and get a replacement.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.