Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a trade for a 513T today. I traded a .40 S&W pistol for it. The rifle is all original in what I'd call excellent condition. The bore is excellent, the wood has maybe one or two very minor dings and is linseed oil rubbed, and the metal is in great shape. Action is smooth as butter and that trigger is a marvel!!! It has the Redfield micrometer rear sight and it's in excellent condition. The stock has clear Rock River Arsenal cartouche and inspector's cartouche and barrel is marked "U.S. Property" in two places. I can't believe the excellent shape the rifle is in! I can hardly wait to go shoot it tomorrow.

WOW! Did I make a splash for my first "new" .22 rifle in years or what? :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WOW!!!!!!!

They don't call it the Matchmaster for nothing! This rifle easily makes pea-sized 3 shot groups at 25 yards. I put 100 shots into a penny-sized orange dot sticker. No strays, no flyers. This off a rolled-up towel rest on the hood of my Jeep. I am more than happy with this rifle to say the very least! I'll wager this rifle will outshoot almost any new off-the-rack .22 out.

I had forgotten how much fun .22s are! Boy, it's like coming home to home-fried catfish and hush puppies with a side of fried green tomatoes.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
No strays, no flyers.
You must have a dud, then. You better send it to me before it ruins your ability to shoot correctly and you forget all of your swear words. Just send me your address and I'll send you a box with pre-paid postage and signed FFL paperwork.

HEEHEE! Just kidding. Nice pick up there. Hope it serves you well. Put up some pics so we can drool over it while we curse you.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
513T

I have mine set up for 100 yards and use it to practice offhand shooting as the shape of the stock seems to lend itself to it and the weight is right. A little lighter than a Stevens 416T. Can easily hold all shots in an 8" circle offhand. By the way, was yours parked?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, it's not parkerized. If I had the ability to post photos here, I'd post some pics. But with this $%^&*$#@ web tv, you're lucky to be able to post words, LOL!

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
Hi Sailor, come here often?........ Sorry could'nt resist.

Theres a 513T for sale on the For Sale/Trade Forum! Snatch it up! Its a heck of a price 225.00+ shipping. WISH I could afford it, but I spent my allowance on my Stevens Ranger.

JL

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
Hey Kevan,
I noticed you live in the Flagstaff area. Where do you shoot? And do they have any organized matches? Flags only about four hours from Alb. I just might have to come see your rifle in person one of these days. Waddiya think? JL

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
513T

I feel luckey then. I walked in just when the guy was filling out the paperwork from buying the rifle from someone and I asked if it was for sale. He asked the boss and the boss said $175. I offered $160 and they took it. Quick turn over of their money and good deal for me. It was parkerized and U.S. Property marked and built in 1942.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JL, drop on by when you're in this neck of the Ponderosas. Around here, everyone shots at the "cinder pits". You now these? The cinder cones that were mined for cinders leaving a big pit. That's it. Even the police have to practice there. There is an attempt to open an actual range, but some imported liberals and freaks from liberal states are filing injunctions to stop it and so hey cannot even break ground yet. They're whining about "noise" (even though the Santa Fe mainline and I-40 run right by where the range is planned.) They're whining about "environmental impact" (even though the Navajo Army Depot there has scads of old Nike-Ajax and Titan 2 engines leaking all over the place right near where the range is planned.) What can ya do? So we shoot at the cinder pits. Gives you a good feeling to know your local police might have popped 50 rounds off at a Coors can for practice, eh?:rolleyes: I heard there are smallbore matches up in Payson and around Williams. I'll have to check into that. But anytime you're in this neck of the woods, drop by. Ever shoot at household appliances? That's what some clowns dump out there to shoot at. :rolleyes: And they think the supervised range they're planning will be "environmentally hazrdous.":rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
Kevan,
My wifes family had their reunion there last year! We went up to check out acomodations. And we stayed at the Kingsrest motel right across the road from the tracks......I know all about them trains, they kept us up all night. We ended up staying at the Arizona Mountain Inn on Lake Mary (?) road. And ate at Black Barts.
I'll see if I can get out that way some time this summer!
If your ever in Alb, I'll take you to a real range. Its got benches and everything! JL

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
JL, be sure and let us all know if and when you make it farther West. Maybe we could put a South West meeting together for RFC users. It's only two hours from Flagstaff to Mesa if you don't mind the re-entry turbulence. We have concrete benches and real target holders and everything at the Rio Salado shooting range.

Heck, maybe we should put one together anyway. Whaddayasay?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That sounds like fun! Ought to see how many folks on the board might be interested.

JL, Black Bart's is ok, but for a REAL put-on-the-feed-bag dinner, try Horseman's Lodge. It's on Hwy 89 as you go towards Page, right outside of Flagstaff. But you might avoid the bar-b-que. The sauce is pretty awful. But the steaks!! And the prime rib!! And there ain't no college kids singin' to ya while yer tryin' to eat.:D But check out their pine nut crusted fried trout. There's horseback riding at the Lazy Heart Ranch next to Horseman's Lodge and if you ride first, you'll get a 10% off coupon for Horseman's Lodge. It's like $35 per person for an hour-and-a-half ride. Another good one that just opened is the Rack and Bull in Parks which is on I-40 West outside of Flagstaff a few ten miles or so. Take the Exit 178. I haven't been there yet, but folks say they have a heckuva prime rib and some days have full pound of crab legs for $15. A real winner for the lady in your life is Mormon Lake Lodge which is on Lake Mary Road about 35 miles outside of town and take the Mormon Lake exit off the road. Best experienced in winter with snow on the ground. They have cottages for rent and if I have to explain the rest, well, you know what I mean. The Mormon Lake Lodge steakhouse has some pretty good fare and sometimes have Rocky Mountain Oysters, too. There's a small bar in there and some nights there's a little C/W dancing. They have cross-country skiing and I think sleigh rides and snowmobile rental. All these places have websites, so you can check them out.

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
Kevan,
Everything sounded great.........But I think I'll skip the RMOs. I don't do "see" food. 'Cause if I tried to eat it, you'd see me yakkin' it all over the floor! Yeeuuck! JL

·
Registered
37 Posts
513T's are great!

Congrats on picking one up. I got mine about 6 months ago, Mint condition, but I parted with 325 bones for it. I'm still amazed by how well it shoots. I'm using the redfield sights that came on the rifle and from the bench it holds within 3/4 of an inch at 50 yards, which is **** good for iron sights with my eyes. I found extra magazines for it at Gun parts Corp, $12.00 apiece. I'm still looking for a Unertl to mount on the the gun so I can really see how accurate it is. Anybody got a line on a Unertl at a decent price?

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
dscrick,
They ain't no setch aminal!

The cheapest I've seen ran about 500.00/ 600.00. Try a search on E-bay you might fall into a Unertal or Lyman. I got lucky, I picked up my Stevens 416 with a Lyman Targetspot already mounted. The scope is worth as much as the combo. So I figger I got the rifle for free! :D JL

·
Registered
307 Posts
You can still find Unertls for under $425 if you are lucky. I just bought a perfect 16 or 20X (can't remember offhand) with AO for $375. I generally find small shows in the state of Pennsylvania is a good source. Lots of older varmint hunters in that state (I used to live there).

The prices on these however are rising rapidly and especially on the good ones.

Be careful of reticles with "split ends" where the spider silk has splits of mold on it. However if the scope if perfect you can always have it repaired and cleaned.

If I found a great Unertl/gun package at a decent price, and the rifle was in OK shape, I would buy the package and sell the gun.

Buy now if you want one. The scopes (and many great old guns) are showing up when the older owners pass away and their yuppie kids who are anti-gun inherit the gun and sell it too cheap or have estate sales. I recently picked up a real nice M1922M1I that way. I told him it was too cheap but he said they just wanted it out of the house away from the kids. (Drive-bys with 8 pound military .22 trainers are "so" common... :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.