Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice! I bet that's a fantastic shooter!
My first 5 shot 50 yard group with cheap Eley. Just a little over 1/4 inch. I'm getting everything ready to shoot my club matches.

Grass Circle Recreation Symmetry Precision sports

I wouldn't need to shoot it, it's great to just look at.(y)
It don't look too shabby for a 50 year old rifle! LOL

I brought it home and wifey said "What...another rifle?!" Then I opened the case "Wow!" she exclaimed.

That's a rare moment!

·
5,848 Posts
Wasn't Gordon one of the first BR gunsmiths to do the integral tuners? If I'm not mistaken Calfee started doing them early on but I don't honestly know if it was actually his idea. Either way I've always thought the sporter barrels were really neat. I'd like to have one someday just like yours

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wasn't Gordon one of the first BR gunsmiths to do the integral tuners? If I'm not mistaken Calfee started doing them early on but I don't honestly know if it was actually his idea. Either way I've always thought the sporter barrels were really neat. I'd like to have one someday just like yours

From IR 50/50 Sporters

Bill Calfee made the first muzzle device equipped sporter barrel from a Douglas #1 barrel blank.

A #1 Douglas blank has an enlarged big end of 1.150" for three inches, then tapers to a muzzle diameter of .625". He turned this #1 Douglas rimfire blank around backwards,
using the enlarged breech end for the muzzle device, then shrunk some 1.150" round stock to the .625" diameter muzzle end, giving enough metal to thread and shoulder it to a
54 Anschutz sporter action.

Then Bill finished profiling this backwards #1 Douglas blank so it would include a muzzle device and make weight for a 7-1/2 lb sporter rifle.

He then taper lapped the blank, chambered it, and worked out the depth, and diameter of the counterbore for the muzzle device.

When you think of it this was quite an undertaking.

No other gunsmith had ever, or would ever, take on such a task. This entire process took about a year to complete.

·
Registered
775 Posts
For a group to be a 1/4", the two outside shots need to be almost touching.
Take a picture with your caliper touching the outside edges please.

Pretty rifle . . . almost too pretty to shoot . . . but the group puts it into the class of "No Longer a Virgin",

I think I might just call my new 1710 "Virginia" . . . called Virgin for short but not for long!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That Target is small. The outside of the Thick green bull is .500
he did say just over a 1/4". So it looks .260-.270 if I was to take a guess.
You got a good eye!

That was just my first sighter from my target that I used to set-up my equipment for the new rifle. I took an iPhone pic of it just for posterity. I didn't save the target nor did I have a set of calibers at the range. LOL

My intention was just to show the pics of the rifle. I only posted the target pic to answer the question. Never intended to start another "group" argument. :)

But let's see what the software says...

Green Font Plant Circle Grass

·
Registered
603 Posts
I didn't know we were arguing. It's a dream Rifle. I am sure it will shoot Soooo Much better with top ammo. You know there really are not that many of them Rifles out there. (Very few) Now try to imagine shooting a 250 with a 6X optic. still having to make slight hold off's to shoot a 250. I am sure I could not due it. I have shot too many High magnification scopes, 6x seems like 1K away. It would take a lot of practice to get used to that and a Rifle that was unreal consistently accurate. And now you have one. I really don't know what to say. Other than. WOW! man you have a one of the most desirable 22 Sporters ever made and it's stunningly Beautiful.

·
Registered
451 Posts
From IR 50/50 Sporters

Bill Calfee made the first muzzle device equipped sporter barrel from a Douglas #1 barrel blank.

A #1 Douglas blank has an enlarged big end of 1.150" for three inches, then tapers to a muzzle diameter of .625". He turned this #1 Douglas rimfire blank around backwards,
using the enlarged breech end for the muzzle device, then shrunk some 1.150" round stock to the .625" diameter muzzle end, giving enough metal to thread and shoulder it to a
54 Anschutz sporter action.

Then Bill finished profiling this backwards #1 Douglas blank so it would include a muzzle device and make weight for a 7-1/2 lb sporter rifle.

He then taper lapped the blank, chambered it, and worked out the depth, and diameter of the counterbore for the muzzle device.

When you think of it this was quite an undertaking.

No other gunsmith had ever, or would ever, take on such a task. This entire process took about a year to complete.
Why didn't he just put the round stock on the muzzle end, or order just a 1.150 inch straight bull barrel and just cut the middle of the barrel to his specs? Seems like a lot of extra work

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why didn't he just put the round stock on the muzzle end, or order just a 1.150 inch straight bull barrel and just cut the middle of the barrel to his specs? Seems like a lot of extra work

I really, honestly, don't know a lot about the engineering and fabricating of this barrel.

But, I do know this, I won our match Saturday with a 250-16X, against some of the finest rifles in the state.

Believe me, it wasn't the guy behind the trigger. This Eck rifle is a masterpiece.

·
7,173 Posts
Jack, THAT is a beautiful rifle!!! And the icing on the cake is that target. Not to take anything from your rifle or highjack your thread, but it seems so very close to home with a very similar rifle. Mine is a Bill Myers build in a Cherry stock, with a Hall receiver, a Benchmark Reverse-Taper 3-groove barrel (muzzle should look familiar) and a BIX trigger. It uses a FinnFire mag or can be set-up as a single-shot. It loves Center-X (and I wish I had a target handy).
Just for comparison.

Doug

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun accessory Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun accessory Shotgun

Wood Musical instrument Couch Beige Insect

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jack, THAT is a beautiful rifle!!! And the icing on the cake is that target. Not to take anything from your rifle or highjack your thread, but it seems so very close to home with a very similar rifle. Mine is a Bill Myers build in a Cherry stock, with a Hall receiver, a Benchmark Reverse-Taper 3-groove barrel (muzzle should look familiar) and a BIX trigger. It uses a FinnFire mag or can be set-up as a single-shot. It loves Center-X (and I wish I had a target handy).
Just for comparison.

Doug

View attachment 311365

View attachment 311366

View attachment 311367
Doug, Man oh man, thats a handsome rifle!

The only drawback to my Eck, is that it (appears, so far) to only like Center-X. And, even seems picky about which lot of Center-X.

We haven't had enough calm winded days for me to experiment enough to really know.

It seems like I end up making my final ammo decisions based on how I place in a match.

Ain't this is a crazy game where 1/8" seems like a "mile" between the top scores. LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts