Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day all. Well, was a mostly depressing and frustrating day at the range. Had a few really nice, tight "Teaser" groups, but mostly just "Walked the dog" all over the place. :( The few good groups I did get shows the rifle's (Marlin 25N) potential, but I've yet to consistently achieve that potential. So I came home with another question-

Now this might be a "No brainer," but I just have to ask, and hear it from you all: How critical is a good rear bag for accuracy/tight groups? I'm using a Hoppes (or maybe Caldwell- it's about 8 years old or older) rabbit ear, but it's rather thin (leather), loose and "sloppy." I've stabilized my front end very nicely, but (it seems) I'm having all sorts of problems getting the stock consistenly firm and stable in the rear bag. Would that be affecting my accuracy? Yeah, I'm sure I know the answer, but I need to hear it. :rolleyes:

I'm eyeing a Protektor Heavy Bottom Rabbit Ear rear bag from Brownells as I have other Protektor bags and I'm pretty pleased with their quality. Thoughts or comments?

My front rest is one of the new Caldwell "The Rock BR" front rests and today I was using the Lobe bag that came with it.

Thanx, and take care.

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Mark,
You mention that you use an "Protektor Owl Ear front rest" ... but you don't indicate which rest you are using the bag on?

Front rest, front bag and a good Protektor rear bag should help a great deal in stablilizing your rifle. Add to this set-up a consistent approach to your shooting, be it free-recoil, light touch, squeeze rear bar, firm grip, whatever suits you and your rifle the best and you'll be on you way to repeatable results.

Search the Benchrest threads for more on this topic, there's a lot of great advice and experience here.

For the rear bag stabilizer - off hand, I know that Sinclair's offers one for about $25. I personally haven't used one, but I'm sure other's here will step in with good advice.

Best of luck.
Michael

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the confusion Mike. When I mentioned my Owl Ear front bag I meant it only to be as an opinion of quality regarding Protektor bags. I wasn't using it today. I'll edit that out.

I have one of the new Caldwell "The Rock BR" front rests and I was using the Lobe bag that came with it.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Yep

the rear bag is critical , if it offers poor support , you will get a lot of movement in your gun = larger groups ...

I def need to re-think both my front and rear bags , the front bag does not cradle the fore end nearly well enough and the rear bag may have too much sand in it and be a tad hard , which promotes more movement ...

Yep , got to get the bags right ...

Unfortunately in OZ , we either cant get it , or its over priced something awfull .... [ Cant get it , seems to be the in-thing ATM ] ...

Matt

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Got it Mark. Thanks for the clarification. How do you like the Caldwell BR rest?

I'm using a Caldwell rear bag with fairly high ears for my 10/22 and CZ452. I think I need to pack it better to get more stability. I'm also looking at buying a new rear bag after my Fudd top comes in.

I'm not sure if I'm just spending money for the fun of getting new toys, or working my way to a smith-built BR RF gun - that's where the real accuracy is.

From reading the boards, the Protektor bags are popular. The Rabbit or Bunny ear style choice would depend on your guns.

You might want to check on Benchrest Central and do a search.

Michael

·
Registered
517 Posts
mark,shooting br is like golf,if you drop a shot and lose by 1 does it make a difference if it was the first or last shot that you lost by----NO--- it is still a loss by 1 point.EVERYTHING is critical in benchrest shooting,it`s not a case of "the most critical "thing regarding your equipment.all the little bits create a package and that package has to work.if something is wrong with the package then fix the problem.your rear bag is no more important than your front bag or rest,they are a team and must work as one to suit your rifle.you must experiment with different bits of the TEAM to get it right.front rest and bag looks ok i think,i`d try a protektor big ears and pack it tight BUT keep the base flat{don`t OVER fill it }.don`t be worried about experimenting to find what the best set up for your gear is,---remember,,you are having fun.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx guys, I appreciate the response. Yeah, that's what I thought. I made a "Target front end" out of a piece of 1 x 3 x 5 Poplar which I then screwed onto the fore end. That stabilizes the fore end nicely. However, I noticed then a lot of slop in the rear bag.

Not sure if I have my present bag is over filled, under filled, or what. The leather is relatively (compared to my Protektor bags) thin, and the ears are floppy and sloppy. Wonder if they've stretched over the years? Looks like it. I used to have it filled with lead bird shot, but changed it out a few months ago for sand. And yeah, the bottom is pretty rounded too.

Got it Hotdogdogau, it's the "Total Package." I'll have to work on sorting it all out and getting things to work together.

Now how full is too full on the bags? What am I looking for, what firmness, fullness, etc.?

Mike- I like the Caldwell BR. Nice and weighty, has both major & minor elevastion adjustments, and has the windage top (which I just started using). May not be as fancy or refined as a Bald Eagle, et al, but then, I didn't pay Bald Eagle price either. Works great for my (current) needs. I posted the same initial question over at Benchrest too. Waiting for response.

I hear ya MattK. Shipping between Oz-U.S. or vice versa is murder. Where about in Oz are you mate?

I'll try and post a few pictures of the "Good, the Bad and the Ugly" groups later tonight for critique, either in this thread or another.

Will get my order placed then for the new rear rest.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I hear ya MattK. Shipping between Oz-U.S. or vice versa is murder. Where about in Oz are you mate?

Im in Melbourne , The main problem is finding some one that has what you want , and will actually go to the trouble of shipping to OZ ....
This goes for gun acc" / computer parts etc ...

Here in OZ , there is a horrendous mark up for anything imported ...

Hoppes Front Benchrest $50 US = 70something OZ bananas ... One place is selling it for $240 OZ bananas .....

I paid $140 OZ bananas for mine ... [ Sale price at another shop ]

And the same goes for Bags .... But the main discount places in the USA wont ship to OZ , not even Bags ....

So we are stuck paying scalpers prices .... :1t

We need some place like midway , to start shipping non gun parts to OZ ....
I dont know why , but Midway ships to Norway ??? go figure ...

Matt

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
For all those rounded bottoms rear bags, you guys should invest in a donut. It will stabilize your bag and keep everything stable. Cost about $20.00. Sometimes I use 2 when I need the rear of the rifle raised to shoot some downhill ranges.

Ken

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

G'day all. I think I've got the picture posting figured out, so here's how things went the other day.

Sorry, I forgot to include a measuring reference. The targets are 2 1/2" circles, the inner "bull" is 5/8".

The Good. Initial sight in for the Swift scope at 25 yards using PMC scoremaster, and the best group I achieved at 50 yards using Wolf Target. The 25 yard group is 3/8" and the 50 yard group is 9/16". These were the best groups of the day-

The Good

The Bad. 50 yards using Wolf Target. Left is about 5/8" and right about 3/4". This was the "Norm" for the day-

The Bad

The Ugly. Yes, there was worse. 50 yards using Wolf Target. Left is about 1 1/4" and right is also about 1 1/4". These "Groups" (Ha!) accounted for about 1/4 - 1/3 of everything I was shooting-

The Ugly

Pretty embarassing, but I'm not afraid to ask for help and show my mistakes.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
517 Posts
mark,your bag is over full when the base curls up because the top is too tight,this causes the base to become rounded, NOT FLAT and that means instability!!.remove about 1/4 of the sand then soak the base in water till it is soft,place it on a FLAT bed and clamp it down so that it dries in that position,when completely dry it should be flat, refill it so that it is tight BUT doesn`t cause the corners to curl up.you may have to 3/4 fill it and wet it again but you should be able to get it flat and full,,,,with patience.mattk, if you want protektor bags here in OZ ring Charlie 0749782529 for the best prices in OZ,benchrests too!!!.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanx for the response guys, I appreciate it. Ordered a new Protektor Heavy Bottom Rabbit Ear this past Tuesday. And thanx for the suggestion about wetting and shrinking the bag Hotdogdog. I did that last night and it's drying now. Looks like it's working. Actually mate, I'm not in Oz, but El Paso, Texas, although I have been to Oz on several occasions. Brisbane, Sydney, Bunburry (twice) and Perth. I'm learning "Ozzie Speak" from a mate (fellow Bayonet Collector) who relocated to Tasmania from Melbourne, and "Brit Speak" from Pommy Bayonet Collectors. MattK's in Melbourne, where about's are you?

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
517 Posts
g`day mark,i know why they call you el paso-- cauze you are in texas.i know matt is in melbourne and that may not be his fault either.if you re-read my last post ,at the end i addressed matt as to protektor bags here in the land of oz.i`m in the bottom of the great barrier reef so to speak, on the queensland {god`s my next door neighbour}coast. ya could say i`m in the ace end of it.i was pleased to see you made the right choice re your trigger,well done.well mate i`d better ping off cauze i got other buggers to yak to,seeya later,john.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.