Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought my first 22 rifle and having read the postings from other Henry users I chose the Golden boy. Wow I am really pleased with it.

Now my dumb beginners question is about the buckhorn rear sight. I am used to square notch rear sights on hand guns and know how to set them up correctly.
With the buckhorn sight, to get the elevation correct, should the front bead bead be positioned in the very small notch at the bottom of the sight or in line with the top of the larger horns? Sorry but I have never used this type of sight before and the small notch seems difficult for shooting.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
857 Posts
It's up to your own taste. When I look through the sight, I see the front bead is sitting in the V of the back sight, and the target is sitting on top of the bead.

the reason I put the bead under the target (6:00 hold) is because I have started to hate the way the buck horn hides the target.

Last Silhouette match I had 18 out of 40 with the goldenboy and the semi buckhorn sights. Maybe I will do a practice session holding the front bead where I want to hit.

With just plan flat V sights I had 23 out of 40 but that was with a legacy puma 1892 in 45 colt (and I got 10 pigs in a row!!!!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply TOWPRO.:bthumb:
I was beginning to think that my vision was going as the buckhorns seemed to be covering the target area.
Shooting where there was long grass and low bushes seemed to be hard to make the sighting vision clear.
Hey good shooting! 10 pigs in a row is far better than anything I have shot yet.

·
Registered
18,731 Posts
I set them to shoot jkst like a flat sight. Place the front bead just inside the rear notch. Some will use the buckhorn like a large peep and center the bead in mid air inside the middle on the buckhorn, but you really need a full buckhorn for that.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have just bought my first 22 rifle and having read the postings from other Henry users I chose the Golden boy. Wow I am really pleased with it.

Now my dumb beginners question is about the buckhorn rear sight. I am used to square notch rear sights on hand guns and know how to set them up correctly.
With the buckhorn sight, to get the elevation correct, should the front bead bead be positioned in the very small notch at the bottom of the sight or in line with the top of the larger horns? Sorry but I have never used this type of sight before and the small notch seems difficult for shooting.
Many thanks.
I for one can't get a good picture with any 'buckhorn' I've tried on my 001T. May I suggest:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=986064

D R

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got my Henry Golden Boy a couple of days ago. I have a difficult time seeing the gold colored from sight and for accurate hits on very small targets at 50 yards it does indeed obscure the target.

Thanks towpro and tcrace, I'll check those out.

I was thinking about a spot or white or orange paint applied to the back of the front sight. Is that a good idea? Has anyone done this?

Ted

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sight paint

Ninja:

I wound up going with the fiber optics on my GB but at first, I used some orange high viz paint on the back of the front sight. It worked pretty well.

The old eyes ain't what they used to be and I need all the help that I can get. The fiber optics work well for me.

Old Blue.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I see D R Greysun and towpro offered up some good alternatives. I would go tang-mounted Peep, if possible, but that's just me.

Coloring sights - I put some red nail polish on my H001 plastic front sight to better highlight it in the Williams FP-AG (low line of sight, grooved mount) Aperture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.