Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
member at bassboatcentral.com referred me to this site for a question that I asked on that site. I love fishing and I love shooting 22's, so I'm glad he told me about this site (Very cool site). Okay, I've got a couple of the 9422; one in s. l. lr and another in Magnum. I was out looking for a browning sa for my twelve year old as my fifteen year son has one. My dealer shows me this 9422m with a gold receiver and I thought (hum) this looks pretty slick. It's on layaway and I don't have serial number or pics. He said they were only made for a short time and that he had never seen one before. He said the gun was new (no box). I've bought guns from him in the past and decided to pull the trigger and bought it. Just wanted to know if one of you guys (or gals) have this or have heard of it. I went to winchesterguns.com and found the nine listings of 9422 and did not see any with a gold receiver. Would love to hear your thoughts on this gun. Wanted 1,300.00. Got it for 1,065 before taxes.

Thanks guys,

Tom:bthumb: :bthumb:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I believe what you got was a commemorative model called the "Trail of Tears"...to commemorate the migration of the Cherokee Nation to a reservation west of their native lands. If I am not mistaken, you can view one of these on the Cabela's Gun Library website...just click on "Winchesters" when the Gun Libray homepage comes up, scroll down thru all the Winchesters till you get to the 9422's and look for that model. The price sounds about right...I have a 9422M which is a traditional Tribute...hope yours is as accurate as mine...I really like these guns...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info brother. I agree, these 9422's shoot very nice. I put a Nikon on the lr and shoot the 9422m without a scope. My first gun was a 22 winchester auto that my dad bought at a pawn shop back in 1976 or so; I still got it. Only problem is that it doesn't feed very well these days. I shot it alot growing up in the country Near Tulsa, Ok. Take care, Tom.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I suspect what you have is not any kind of a commemorative issue, but rather the 9422 Yellow Boy, which is a limited run. If the serial number prefix is "YBL" for the .22LR, or "YBM" for the .22Mag, this is what you have. Altho, I seem to think I have seen a Yellow Boy with a standard serial number as well. These Yellow Boys are basically the same as any other 9422, with the exception of the gold colored receiver. I've bought two of them recently for $800, NIB, which I don't think is any kind of a bargain, altho they go for quite a bit higher on Gunbroker, when you can find one.

If your 9422 is indeed the "Cherokee", I have seen one offered recently at a gun show NIB for $1200, with no takers. There was also a "Cheyenne" but I have never seen one.

Whatever, have fun with it! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. No, I don't have the Cherokee. Looks like I got the Yellow Boy and sounds like you got a great deal at 800.00 a piece. 1,065.00 before tax; I paid full price for sure. I can deal with it though; it's a cool looking 22 Magnum. Thanks again and have a great day!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I might add, to clarify my post a bit, my Yellow Boys are both .22LR. Your .22Mag would be worth a bit more, perhaps $100 more, than an equivalent .22LR Yellow Boy. They are kinda cool, don't you think! :bthumb:

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
They are getting hard to find since Winchester quit making them. The Yellow Boy was made only for a short time and prices are continuing to climb. I don't remember what year they were made, but it was a few years before Winchester stopped production of the 9422.
The Cheyenne was a Canadian gun and was made in 1977 and the Cherokee was also a Canadian gun and it was made in 1978.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again brothers; you guys are a wealth of information. I got a site to talk about fishin AND a site to talk about rimfires - - - two awesome pastimes. I have learned alot by browseing around through the different forums; alot of hardcore shooters on here. Take care, Tom.

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
Does anyone know what a winchester 9422 25th av. one of 2500 is worth .
It was manufactured in 1997 only. My Blue Book is a couple of years old and shows the 25th Anniversary 9422, Grade I listed at $535 in 100% condition. You need to find someone with a newer Blue Book, better yet check the selling prices on Gunboker by looking at completed auctions for the last 90 days.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Best way is to monitor what they are actually SELLING for on Gunbroker, and use that as a high side reference. In this case, perhaps, use the Blue Book is a low side reference. In my humble experience, most guns that sell for those high values on Gunbroker, will have a hard time getting those high values locally. Furthermore, in a LOT of instances, the Blue Book is hopelessly out of tune with the latest trends, and can be valued way too low.

For a reference, I bought a 25th Anniversary Grade I last winter for $700, new, no box or papers. This from a dealer not known for low prices! :D Whatever, maybe I got screwed! :D But, I HAVE the gun!

·
Registered
329 Posts
UPDATE:

Even though I am very busy right now, I swung by the local gun dealer this evening when I got back in town, and right off the bat I noticed a 9422 Cheyenne on the rack, stuck discretely in among a gaggle of Henry's. I looked at the price, $700, done deal, I held on to it, and told the gun manager I would buy it. He said, well, I have another one in the back as well, NIB. I looked at that one, and for $800, I bought the NIB one. I, of course, put it on layaway (my standard practice, since I am never in the hurt bag for something to shoot). Then I asked the gun manager to hold on to the other one, for a day or two, because I might want it as well!!

The NIB one is, well, NIB. The box is in pretty rough shape, but the rifle appears pristine, and includes papers, etc. The other rifle, without box, also appears perfect, except, there was a rub mark on the comb of the stock that some one had tried to cover up by applying a stain to the mark, which doesn't match. It isn't really noticeable, but it's there. But what the heck, for $700, I may well have a 9422 Cheyenne for a shooter! :)

Kinda makes me wish I HAD bought that Cherokee at that gun show! Now the big decision, do I buy the second Cheyenne, or not? Knowing myself, I probably will! :)

When I get one or the other off layaway, I will try to figure out a way to post pics. :D :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.