Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well for those who REALLY love their 10/22's, have you ever thought about plating?

It wasn't until another Canadian showed his rig that it caught my attention

24k Gold plating :eek: I'm wondering what silver plating would look like. All I know is I was quite impressed with the way it looks :t
Might have to try it myself some day. Expensive but when you put 1000+ into your 10/22 anyways, why not?

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
That looks great. I had thought about doing one of mine but I couldn't find anywhere that would do it.
Where did you have that done? Do they have a website? How much did it cost?

I have an GM octagon barreled rifle begging for this treatment. ;)

VERY nice, You need a fancy walnut stock to go with that.

swampf0x

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok, found some info on both the trigger I want, and gold plating. It is very difficult to do on aluminum because aluminum reacts with the air and creates a film that covers it that can't be plated. There is a way to get around this by using a caustic zinc compound to simulataneously strip the film and plate it with zinc. Then that can be plated. Luckily though, the trigger I want is stainless steel, unlike what I originally thought.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I can't remember the name, but there is a company in Colorado that makes commemorative 10/22's that have the receivers gold plated along with gold inlaying on the barrels.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing in Florida offers Gold plating. I have never use their services so this is not an endorsement but I have heard only good things about them.

Regards Bill :)

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Before all you rich guys go throwing money at some new bling - I have several guns - revolvers, shotguns and rifles - with gold plated triggers. Not ONE of them has remained pristine. They ALL wear. 24K gold is particularly soft and subject to scratching and just wearing off with normal handling.

So if you do it... and I know some of you will.. :D ..be sure to take lot's of pics when you first get it back. It will never look that good again!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Markbo said:
Before all you rich guys go throwing money at some new bling - I have several guns - revolvers, shotguns and rifles - with gold plated triggers. Not ONE of them has remained pristine. They ALL wear. 24K gold is particularly soft and subject to scratching and just wearing off with normal handling.

So if you do it... and I know some of you will.. :D ..be sure to take lot's of pics when you first get it back. It will never look that good again!
Bingo! Gold triggers just don't last. 24K is too soft, and too thin. But the only choice for steel.

If you really want gold color, try gold anodizing the action. It is a great finnish, and looks very much like gold, but way more durable. Do this before you bead your action though. Once the beading is done, you are through adding any finnish to the outside of your reciever. A good beading job is that tight. BTDT

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alternative: TiN

I think that's how they refer to titanium nitride which has a gold color (might not be quite as rich as 24K Au) and is hard. You have seen it on those gold colored cutting tools like premium drill and router bits. Hornady uses it in straight wall sizing dies instead of carbide inserts.

I don't know the process, so there might be a reason it would not work on Al (heat, chemical reaction?). but a coating on the outside would wear a lot longer than the insides.

John

·
Registered
615 Posts
BlockWalker said:
I think that's how they refer to titanium nitride which has a gold color (might not be quite as rich as 24K Au) and is hard. You have seen it on those gold colored cutting tools like premium drill and router bits. Hornady uses it in straight wall sizing dies instead of carbide inserts.

I don't know the process, so there might be a reason it would not work on Al (heat, chemical reaction?). but a coating on the outside would wear a lot longer than the insides.

John
Nope gold anodize. Well I think the color is yellow, but here take a look http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html

·
Registered
624 Posts
gold titanium nitride is easily the most durable gun finish there is. paying for it and finding someone to do it is a whole nother story though. i have a pistol done in gold TiN and it is durable, easily 100% better than hard chrome. the downside is that it is gaudy looking :rolleyes: i'll never have another gold gun, but to each their own. it does get looks at the range though :Blasting_

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.