Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HORRAY!!! :t

Tomorrow i am going to pick up a new Marlin 917vsf (17 hmr) and a new bushnell 3-9x40 3200 (this will go on my Tikka that i am going to get). I have already bought the Federal V-max ammunition and some CCI hollow point ammuntion and will probaly pick up some Hornady 17HMR ammuntion. I got them on hold so i am definately going to get the gun. When i bring it home is there anything i should do to it besides give it a good clean and go out and shoot. Anymore ammuntion that i should try? Was it worth getting the CCI ammo?

:D :D :D (happy)

Thank
Jordan

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Was it worth getting the CCI?

In my opinion, yes. My Annie 1517 shoots the CCI-TNT to tighter groups than it shoots the other brands. Most posters here don't have good luck with CCI, but you need to try a box of it all to see what works for you.

Congratulations on your new rifle. :t

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fullchoke

I know that the trigger pull on them is a bit bad (does anybody know what the factory trigger pull is?). But i am not in the mood to go out and spend another $120 (candadian dollar) and get the RB trigger kit. Is there anything i can do such as put in a new spring or something that will bring the trigger pull down to a nice crisp 2-2 1/2 pounds (or lower than that if posible)?

And just one more question.

If i go out and shoot and i am consistantly getting bad 1 1/2 - 2" groups at 100 yards, should i free float the barrel or try glass bedding it?

Thanks
Jordan

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
The barrel is probably free floated from the factory. Most are. Don't do anything to it at first just clean it real good and go do some load testing. After about 200-300 rounds it should start shooting really good.
Use the search feature there are a lot of threads in the Marlin section on fixing the 900 series triggers. Some Marlin's are real sensitive to the tightness of the action screws so you can try adjusting them. Mine shoots good with the front screw tight and the rear screw just snug.

Have fun with your new rifle.......

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks a bunch recumbent.

I am going to pick up the gun at around 1:00-2:00 today (Western time), so i should be back with pics of the gun around 4:00 or so.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from the store. As planned i got the Bushnell 3-9x40 elite 3200, Marlin 917vs with fluted barrel, and two boxes of hornady ammo. Well there goes all of my savings

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/cz452shooter/100_3698.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/cz452shooter/100_3699.jpg

I am hoping i can get to the range by Thursday...

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Jordan, I am jealous! The Marlin you have will blow your mind on how super accurate it is. I like them flutes!

Let us know how it shoots. Posts some groups all stacked together in one little torn out hole. I think you will be amazed by your choice.

Nice gun buddy.

Brad

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks everybody

I will try to get it out as soon as i can... the only thing is i aint got no cleaning rod (well i did but then i lost it). Any suggestions on one that i can make at home that is cheap?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nevermind i found it

cz452shooter said:
Thanks everybody

I will try to get it out as soon as i can... the only thing is i aint got no cleaning rod (well i did but then i lost it). Any suggestions on one that i can make at home that is cheap?
:t

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been woundering how long it was going to take you to find out the other straight shooting rifle manufacter is as I have both and am torn between two worlds.
Be sure to try out as many brands of ammo as possible to find which it likes best.
I'd be hard pressed to part with marlin or cz as I love'm both .
Good-shootin
brokenshell52

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
nice lookin gun...but i think your gonna end up wanting a more powerful scope. I know i did, i had a 3-9x on at first then i put my 4-16x40 simmons blazer on it, which is only useable up to maybe 13/14x for clear picture, now i have a 6.5-20x simmons 44mag on its way for it. im thinkin of puttin the blazer on my pellet gun seein if i can break it and using the warranty :D since the new blazers are supposed to at least have the true-zero adjustments.

my marlin is also in need of a rifle basix trigger...badly. i have 55 towards cabelas so i might pick one up there since it would only cost me 25 bucks or so. :)

hope yours shoots good, i reccomend shoot-n-c type targets for the 17, they are GREAT for 100 yard work!!!

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone

The Bushnell 3200 i bought is not for the Marling. I will be putting it on my 7mm Rem mag. Right now i just mounted my Tasco 6-24x42 on it that i had on my custom 10/22 and put a Simmons 3-9x32 on the 10/22. I am hoping to buy another Tasco 6-24x42 for my 10/22 and then hopefully another one for my cz. I think these scopes are the best for the money...

I am hoping i can get to the range Tomorrow (it all depends on when my Dad is not busy but i hope it is tommorrow).

Brad: Thanks for your opinion on the cleaning rod but i got it all figured out. I found it. THe gun is all clean and ready to shoot :t

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i talked to my Dad and he said that we were definately going to the range tommorrow so that is good news. I hope to do a faily good test if i have time tomorrow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.