Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Turkey season started Saturday.I haven't been turkey huntin' in probably 20 years and finally decided to get back into it,since there are a few where I deer hunt.I decided to get up into a tripod that overlooks a small clearing where turkeys are spotted now and then.After almost two hours and not hearing anything(except my two inept partners who were set up below me at the creek),I decided to ease over the hill to check out a feeder.Nothin' there,so I said to heck with it and continued on to the main camp,intending to leave my gun and walk back around on the road(a lot easier walkin')to get my truck.
I get to camp and look across the ravine to "My" deer feeder(350 yds)which is only a hundred yds. or so from where I was originally sitting and there's a turkey under it just peckin' away.It looked like a hen,but I figured I had nothin' to loose by goin' all the way back and maybe intercept it along the way.I make it to about 100 yds from the tripod ,keepin' an eye out to the left where I figure I'd see it near the feeder when a tom gobbles to my right.He was close,real close,but still in the brush.
I make it to the tree where the tripod is and knew I didn't have time to get back up into it,so I just hid behind the tree,gave the old "Twin Hen" a couple of squawks and there he comes from around a big brush pile.
I tryed to get him closer,but he was gettin' nervous,so I let him have it.

Mossberg Ulti-Mag,Remington Nitro-Mag #4 at 52 yards.

Young bird,4" beard,but hey,first turkey in 20 years and the first w/a shot
gun. :t

Only bird we heard all weekend too.

BW

·
Registered
208 Posts
great job

Great job on the turkey! It sure is exciting isn't it?

Got my first one my first day out ever two years ago. Still trying for #2. Season starts May 1st in NY. Got my eye on a group with 4 gobblers hanging around it on my farm. Heck I've been feeding them (I mean that they have been eating (stealing) my grain) so I figure might as well try to put one on the table. It is really cool just glassing them. They won't run from a truck that is less than 150 yards if you are no threatening. They take a stroll within 20 yards of our parking area. almost too tame. naaa. Won't bother me if I get one. Maybe take up a position between two cars. put a tire around me for camo ha ha.

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
Great job! Those Moosberg 835's will shoot with the best of them. I killed one with mine at 51yds. with Win. 2 and 1/4oz. of #4's and he dropped like a rock. I'm going to try and get my son his first turkey this weekend for our youth season hunt. Our regular season starts Apr. 18. Brad

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Our season opens the 9th, this saturday....but that is the same weekend as the gunshow, and I have a table...so my hunting will wait till the next Saturday. :rolleyes:

Scott

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
Bloodhound said:
Our season opens the 9th, this saturday....but that is the same weekend as the gunshow, and I have a table...so my hunting will wait till the next Saturday. :rolleyes:

Scott
Now there's a man who has his priorities straight! Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.