Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to get a ss ( probobly fluted) barrel for one of my 10/22's.
From what I'm reading it sounds like Green Mountain is the king of the" bang for your buck "pile. I;m seeing them advertized atdifferent locations in 18 and 20". Do they make them in both lengths or is one old stock. ( Seems pretty redundant). Any advantages to one length over the other? ( I'm figuring ballnace.)Any other brands/ barrels I should be looking at before buying? All thought swelcome. :confused:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Wee Hooker,

Stick with the Green Mountain. I've got 5 of them and I'm really impressed with them.

As far as lengths, they are available in 16.5", 18" and 20" for bull barrels.

You can get the 16.5" and 20" from WhiteFace Mountain Barrels (one of our sponsors) and the 18" directly from Green Mountain (another one of our sponsors).

I'd go with either the 16.5" or the 20", depending on the weight you want. I love my 16.5", but I also love the 20". If I had to choose, though, I'd go with another 16.5". The balance, feel, and look are just great!!! :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ps

Thanks Viper, Do you see any percievable differences in accuracy between teh 16.5 and 20"?

BTW, does anybody know where I can find the actual weights of these barrels. Wondering how much difference ther really is between a fluted and non fluted barrel of equal specs. it would also be nice to know what the weight difference is in a 16.5 vs 18 vs 20.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Green Mountain Barrel Weights

Wee Hooker,

Although these have been Posted several times before, here they are: [COPY / SAVE to your Hard Drive] [Not available elsewhere]

For future reference, here's how they break down weight wise:
Green Mountain Heavy, 20" :____~ 3 pounds
Green Mountain Fluted, 20" :____~ 2 pounds 8oz.
Green Mountain Heavy, 18" :____~ 2 pounds 6 oz.
Green Mountain Heavy, 16 ½" :__~ 2 pounds 4 oz.
"WMBS" 22" Sporter*:__________~ 2 pounds 3 oz.
"Ruger" Factory Sporter, 18 ½" :___1 pound 14 oz.
"Clark" Sporter__________________1 pound 14 oz.
* "GM" & "WMBS" weights from Ken Clark at "WMBS".

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
There's no difference in accuracy between the two. I would imagine that if you wanted this for benchrest, I'd go with the 20". If you want it for hunting, both barrels will work great. I just prefer the 16.5" over the 20".

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
There you go, Wee Hooker!

You need to talk to XF2. He's the owner of WhiteFace Mountain Barrels and he'll be able to help you out as much as you need!

I'd go with the 16.5" myself!

Ken,

I didn't know that you sold the 18" barrels....I guess I know now! :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Gents!

I'm settled on Gm and it will come from whiteface. All I have to do is toss and turn all night over the length :D
Just not sure which will look better in that walnut sporter stock.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Viper I will sell whatever I can get from them! The 18's were the 1 st model made by them. I have sold 1000'sf them then the 20's became the standard

Every thing is selling so fast they are in constant prodution just filling backorders it seems. Barrels sell out as soon as they are finished.

Having a good product and no lowering of standards to meet demand is what keeps them a good product.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Wee Hooker,

I have a 18" SS heavy GM barrel on my gun, works great. I had been using the factory carbine stock and the balance was pretty good. But I just switch to a Bell&Carlson anshultz thumbhole stock and the balance is outstanding. If I was going to shoot strictly off the bench and nothing but I would suggest the 20" barrel. Although if you gonna shoot in the field or in any matches where offhand is required, the 16.5" would be my choice. When I got my 18" barrel they offered 18"s and 20"s, I just wanted the lighter barrel for the possible chance I might shoot it offhand.

Hope that helps with your choice.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Opps, I guess if I'd have waited 10 minutes or so then I would have seen your post on having made a choice ..... oh well. Enjoy the barrel, Ken is great to deal with!

Dave Z.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FWIW

I had a 16" bul barrel ( off brand) on my 10/22 before. It shot guood but I wasn't wacky about the looks. I figured I'd try teh 20 this time but w the flutes so the weight would be comparable. We'll see :)

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Good deal, your 20" fluted should be about 2 oz heavier so the balance should be close to a 18" heavy.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Special Ammo in GM Barrels???

I would like to get a new GM bull barrel as well.

Can I run standard ammo through the GM barrel with no problems?

I have been running my old 10/22 with Federal Lightning or Remmington Thunderbolt without any problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.