Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my 10/22 project about 1 1/2 years ago, before I found this site. Had already purchased a 20'' SS fluted & ported Butler Creek barrel, and used it happily for about 8 months.
2 months ago curiosity got the best of me & I ordered A GM barrel, I needed to know if my BC stood up to all the "hype" of the GM beleivers. Installed the GM a few days ago & headed for the range.
For 1/3 of the price of the BC this is what I got;
- a barrel that shoots smaller groups
- groups that don't "wander"
-1st round fliers have been eliminated
-a rifle that seems much more forgiving in obtaining these smaller groups
Guys, I need you to move over to make room for me on the Green Mountain bandwagon.;)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Hers a hand, Come on up!

I did the Chief Dave Sanctioned Barrel Breakin (CDSBB) on my GM 18" blue fluted and i literally did watch every group get smaller!! They seem to be really good barrels for the price, I have a 20 SS fluted for my current project, cannot wait to shoot it.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Ahhh, YES! Another satisfied BC to GM perv...I mean convert! I did the same thing and ain't looked back! GM is the best, value priced barrel out there. Bar-none! IMHO JL

Amax,
I bought mine directly from Ken at GM. Stainless 20"( 89.95 at the time) Had it in about four days. One of the best parts is they guarantee their accuracy, if it don't perform. They'll replace it with one that will. I don't remember hearing about any that didn't. Web site should be up on the main page. G'luck

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CDSBB

Tenspot, I too used this method, like you say, you can watch'um shrink rite before your eyes! Where would we be without CD?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
barrel breakin.........

This is what Ken from Whiteface Mtn suggested for a new GM barrel"

"Clean after every 10 round for the first 50 then every 50 till 250. I use the weedwacker line. This should do it fine Ken"

This is the method I used to break in my new barrel. Make sure you clean the barrel first, using your favorite solvent & the weed wacker line method.
My groups started around 1 1/4'' @ 50 yds & around 30 shots later started to shrink. At about 100 rounds, they broke the 1/2'' barrier, & kept getting smaller. The 250 rd mark saw groups in the .3 to .4'' consistantly! The best result I got from switching barrels was the virtual elimination of 1st round flyers, I'm sure there are other factors at play in this, but it was a real problem with my BC barrel. Again, it seems I don't have to work as hard to obtain smaller groups with the GM. & you can see the groups shrink!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
umax5555

I use Breakfree bore cleaner, but I'm sure any good quality solvent will do the job. It's generally recomended NOT to use a brush or rod. Just use patches. I cut one end of the nylon line on a 45 degree angle & push it thru a patch, insert into breach & pull thru, it's better to clean in the same direction as the bullet path. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ammo........

I use Federal Gold Medal target 711B. Its fairly good in my rifle & not expensive, Box says 1080 FPS & chrono'd @ 1095FPS. in 20 '' barrel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.