Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a hard used one today. Older Marlins are scarce in my neck of the woods.
Looking at the bore with a scope shows several major rust spots, a through cleaning and polishing will reveal if it will be a great shooter or just so-so. Hoping for the former as I have a new Glenfield scope to put on it.

The rifling is micro groove, I think. It's straight cut, no twist. I have never seen a Micro Groove bore so asking is this normal?
Ken
Wood Plant Blade Artifact Dagger

Wood Natural material Asphalt Twig Fashion accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Twig

· Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I test fired it. I have access to a 25 ft test range. It showed decent accuracy before cleaning. I am working on the bore now, there's a large rusty patch near the muzzle that I hope will clean up.
Ol'shooter you've got a nice rifle there. Mine should look as good when finished.
I enjoy finding old and unloved 22's and bringing them home and back to life.
Marlins are scarce and I don't have much info on them.
Ken

· Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Automotive tire Gas Circle Rim Nickel

Automotive lighting Automotive design Tints and shades Circle Font

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Water Rim Gas

Bore cleaning found this mess. It's 4 inches from the muzzle and a half inch long, it covers the entire circumference of the bore.
the rest of the bore is shiny nice.
I need to find a way to smooth this out.

Ken

· Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fergus, I have it figured out, once I had the bore shiny clean it was easy to see and feel the twist. This rifle had one of the dirtiest bores I have encountered.
Yesterday I took the rifle along to the club indoor range. I participate in a NRA position league during the winter.
Firing from a standing rest I was able to shoot 1 inch groups at 50 feet. That's as good as it gets at my age and eyes.
I had considered rebarreling but if it's going to shoot this good I will keep the original barrel. I will know for sure this summer at the outdoor 25 yard range.
I have a NIB Glenfield scope to mount as the final step in restoration.
So, I set the action aside and move to the stock. The first thing is scrapping all the old finish off.
Ken

· Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once I started removing the finish I found a nice birch stock. This is way better than the beech I was expecting. Birch will take a stain well and give a near walnut appearance when finished.
It is now stained with Valspar "gunstock" stain and drying with the first coat of Dembart oil finish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts