Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad I found this site. After reading some of these posts I am getting concerned to say the least.

So, let me ask:
Does anyone have a P22, standard barrell, which you have fired quite a few rounds through with NO problems at all? IF so, what specific ammo, cleaning methods, etc. do you use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought mine in April. 2k-ish and no major problems except ejection. Walther (S&W) seems to be making some progress. I typically use Mini-Mags or Stingers. A few drops of Rem-Oil on slide after every 200-300 rounds while shooting. After every outing; remove slide and apply GunScrubber, air dry, Rem-oil, then reassemble. Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
I only personally know of the history on 7 P-22's and they all have the same problems. The trick to me is to get it to fire inexpensive ammo reliably with no wear.

The test gun will go 800 to 1000 rounds of $6/7 brick ammo with no problems except for a few ammo duds. After that a simple cleaning of the chamber seems to restore reliablilty but I've only fired it 1500/2000 rounds w/out cleaning a couple of times. Hope to put a 1000 through tomorrow. Never been able to find those Dynapoints everyone swears by. 1911M

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
My P22 has shot any ammo so far and the only problem was a screw came loose. A little locktite and that problem is solved. It might not be an accurate pistol but I bought it because it looked fun to shoot....I was right.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
More than 10K rounds shot w/my 2002 (first batch) P22 5" and the only issue I have encountered was caused by yours truly; I broke the hammer spring. I got a new one for $12.00 and I replaced it.

That was it.

What I did when I got it new, was to strip it and clean it w/Teflon dry lube spray after a friend at Walther in Germany, hinted to me to do. I cleaned the magazines (A-suffix), too. I found all sorts of bibs-and-bobs floating inside the magazine well. Flushed enverything away, wiped the excess lube and started using it, without any further cleaning, with mainly Sub Sonic ammo; Eley, Lapua and SK (Wolf in the States).

I also took wind of another tip, namely to leave the P22 cocked (that is w/the hammer pulled but without the slide pulled AND unloaded), when not in use over extended (if at all possible) periods of time (like, when I was in the loo :D ), or in the safe. This helps the P22 to shoot Sub Sonic .22 ammo and prevents FTFeed and FTFire, incidents.

Finally, check the Stove Bolt, a Philips screw located at the R-hand side when the slide is stripped off. It needs to be tightened w/a few Blue (Non-Permanent) Loctite -- thread-securing -- drops.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Everything Crete said, above. Also, be sure you shoot coated ammo.
At the end of each range session, I run a bore snake through the barrel 5 or 6 times. Wet the start of the snake with Rem oil. This seems to really keep the barrel from needing major cleaning. Beyond that, a LITTLE Tetra gun grease on the slide - polish with a Q tip until it's gone, then re-assemble.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
several people on here laughed at me when I said I never clean my P22...then I showed pix and told how many rds have been thru it...I now am approaching 35K rds and have only REALLY cleaned it ONCE(and that was to get pix for this bbs), I use VERY LITTLE lube, such as ONE drop of hoppes on each slide bearing surface after every 2-3K rds...these guns LIKE to be nearly DRY...adding OIL only causes a buildup of dirt and powder residue...I ran a bore snake thru mine a while back and it came out black...of late, I have been using copper coated stuff...my P22 will cycle anything I put in it...however, I have never tried shorts, but I did run a few boxes of LONGS thru it recently..

oh yeah, I have ONLY fired TWO rd, without the suppressor installed...no gun related malfunctions to date, several dud rds, but those get tossed...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bore snake, etc? + more cleaning ??s

Is bore snake made by a certain, specific company? If I use that then would I not need to use patches, and solvent to clean out the barrell/bore?

Also, I know this will show how knew I am to this, but is there such a thing as a VHS or DVD showing how to at least partially disassemble and reassemble this gun?

Thanks everyone for all your help and input.

On my wish list is a fairly inexpensive, yet worthwhile online course in the basics of some of the more common repair and light gunsmithing issue.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A Bore Snake is a nifty little gizmo made by Hoppe's. It has a weighted shoe lace on one end, then an enlarged area followed by some brass brush material and a long tail. You drop the weight down the barrel from the chamber, wet the enlarged area with Rem Oil, and pull it all the way through the gun. It doesn't take much oil - a few drops tops. Repeat five or six times without re-oiling.
They don't take the place of a patch on a jag but they do keep you from having to tear it down as quickly. Think of a BoreSnake as a quick toothbrushing after a meal as opposed to having your teeth cleaned and flossed by a hygenist.
As far as disassembling and cleaning, try a search on this site. There have been some really good postings on disassembly. I wouldn't take the gun down any further than Walther recommends - pull the slide and you can reach everything you need to clean. Leave the total disassembly to a gunsmith.
BTW: Lt. Riker is dead on about over-lubricating. There's no dipstick on a gun... particularly not this one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brick ammo

1917-1911M said:
I only personally know of the history on 7 P-22's and they all have the same problems. The trick to me is to get it to fire inexpensive ammo reliably with no wear.

The test gun will go 800 to 1000 rounds of $6/7 brick ammo with no problems except for a few ammo duds. After that a simple cleaning of the chamber seems to restore reliablilty but I've only fired it 1500/2000 rounds w/out cleaning a couple of times. Hope to put a 1000 through tomorrow. Never been able to find those Dynapoints everyone swears by. 1911M
What brands come in bricks like the one you mentioned, that are pretty reliable? I have seen American Eagle but had a revolver the last time I shot those.

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
The least expensive seems to be Federal, 40 gr. Champion at $ 6.80 per 500. These are round nose lead with a wax lubricant. I have had slightly better luck with fewer duds with these but do they smoke compared to the Remingtons. The bulk Remington that is available at the same store, Academy Sporting Goods or something like that, is a copper or brass washed 36 gr hollow point. One or two duds per brick ea. brand.

I'd just as soon they were round nose if it made them less expensive but that is all they have. They are $ 7.70 per 525 rounds and the only box I ever counted had 543 in it. Today I bought a case, 12 bricks and the young girl charged me $ 7.70 plus tax for the whole case. I said that's a good price but that's not the right total and she immediately started arguing. Just because that's what her computer cash register told her. That would have been some really inexpensive shooting, 6300 rounds for $ 8.00 or so. :p That's the cash register, the guy in sporting good is retired Marine Corps, so we don't have any problems communicating.

Remington Thunderbolts, avoid em like the plague, even Rugers won't shoot em.

Reminds me of the time, this is a true story by the way, of when I stopped into a fast food place on Bardstown Road, Lou. Ky for lunch. The cash register was broken and wouldn't tell what change to give the customer. The little girl, took out a handful of bills and change and asked would I make the correct change for myself. I'm telling you the truth. I was honest and also suggested she learn how to make change, pronto. 1911M

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
LtRiker said:
several people on here laughed at me
Rest assured, a man shot through the back with a 30.06, picks himself up and carries on, shooting with the best and having owned 450 assorted guns, we ain't gonna be laughin nomore, that's for sure.
:t hope you are still mending to your former self. 1911M

·
Registered
169 Posts
michlhll said:
Glad I found this site. After reading some of these posts I am getting concerned to say the least.

So, let me ask:
Does anyone have a P22, standard barrell, which you have fired quite a few rounds through with NO problems at all? IF so, what specific ammo, cleaning methods, etc. do you use?

Thanks.
michlhll:

I can understand your concern given the bad rep the P22 has gotten, but let me join most of the folks here and tell you that my P22 has been quite reliable and has actually given me less trouble that a CZ Kadet and a Browning Buckmark. Don't get me wrong-these are fine guns and VERY accurate-but the P22 has had fewer FTF and FTE than either of these. I use Dynapoints almost exclusively, a snake bore about every 150-200 rounds, and have only broken down and lubed with RemOil twice in > 3 months. I did take care to clean off all the gunk/grease that came on the P22 when I first got it, especially in the mags, but that is about all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks and Dynapoints

Snake Guy said:
michlhll:

I can understand your concern given the bad rep the P22 has gotten, but let me join most of the folks here and tell you that my P22 has been quite reliable and has actually given me less trouble that a CZ Kadet and a Browning Buckmark. Don't get me wrong-these are fine guns and VERY accurate-but the P22 has had fewer FTF and FTE than either of these. I use Dynapoints almost exclusively, a snake bore about every 150-200 rounds, and have only broken down and lubed with RemOil twice in > 3 months. I did take care to clean off all the gunk/grease that came on the P22 when I first got it, especially in the mags, but that is about all.
I feel better now. My gun should be here tomorrow and I really do not want to trade it right off the bat. Rather just keep it.
Locally I seem to be severely limited about the types of 22 ammo around. Don't know why, but apparently 22's are not popular here.
Do you know a good online source for the Dynapoints? I looked on eBay but I guess they don't sell much ammo. :cool:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
OKAY 1911, I am doing really good(for a guy my age) and went out today and ran the remainder of the case thru the P22...I am officially over 35,000 rds thru this gun...I really need to break down and clean out the can, but have been so busy, I am not sure WHEN I can get to it...I take possession of my thompson approx 07/30, so I am loading up mags in preparation...
My CIII buddy is trying to talk me into getting a CIII license and to stop buying transferables, just go with premay dealer samples...save some dough...looking at that REALLY hard as I have run onto a few dealer sample deals that may be impossible to beat.

If I go that route, I plan on buying cans for everything I shoot(excpet the bird and deer guns), and enjoy the quiet life.

I have exactly THREE DUD rds in a 5k case of dynapoints...not bad for the price.

these guys have some good deals on ammo: http://www.22ammo.com/22ammo.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
michlhll said:
I feel better now. My gun should be here tomorrow and I really do not want to trade it right off the bat. Rather just keep it.
Locally I seem to be severely limited about the types of 22 ammo around. Don't know why, but apparently 22's are not popular here.
Do you know a good online source for the Dynapoints? I looked on eBay but I guess they don't sell much ammo. :cool:
michlhll:

As far as I know, Dynapoints are sold only by WalMart, but are quite inexpensive and seem to be a good choice for both accuracy and reliability. CCI Mini-mags have also done well for my P22 and others like them as well. You can get those on-line at Midway (lots of other choices there as well) or at many large sporting good stores (Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mtn).

·
Registered
36 Posts
michlhll said:

So, let me ask:

Thanks.
I have one shot the living hell out of it. I love this pistol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.