Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to the conclusion that I can't live without customizing a 10/22.
So, does it matter where I start? Are all the receivers the same? Should I look for a used 10/22 at the gun shows or just buy a new one just for the receiver? Should I get the accessories that I want and get the receiver when the opportunity presents?
If someone will give me the best starting point, I'll get started!
I take it I'll need a workbench, lights and some basic tools?
Thanks.
Brian

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Brian,
I started with used 10/22's, but if I were to do it again, it would be with new ones. You can sell the take-off parts and recover part of your investment. Considering the prices of used 10/22's in my area, it would have worked out the same.

Hide the credit card receipts and check book from the wife, throw away the calculator, read all the threads here and have fun.

Be sure to invest the first twenty dollars of this project into Membership dues to RFC...it will pay for itself many times over!

You're right, all you need are a few basic tools to get started. There are a bunch of great people here to help if you get stuck.

Gary

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hello ostdc,

Think of the 10/22 as the small block Chevy, tons of parts, lotsa chrome, flash, dull, expensive and the stuff only the racers use. Once you have your 10/22, experiment with ammo, find the most accurate for your rifle (not someone elses). Tn. Hillbilly has good advice, read up on these forums. Quality parts cost $$$, World Class parts cost $$$$$$$. Be a thrifty and knowledgeable consumer. Much easier on your pocket book.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Receivers

All 10/22 receivers (stock) are the same, right? The different models all have the same receiver? So the only difference is whether I prefer blued or stainless ?
Is there a seperate forum for the absolute basics or maybe a instructional video?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
All of the receivers for the 10/22 LR are aluminum..just the color of the paint is different. I bead blasted two of mine because I prefer the matte appearance.

The forums deal with basics up to fully tricking them out. You may want to use the search feature for each step you are planning to take. A suggestion is to use a variety of search words to get the best results.

I've looked at a couple of books, but have not seen a video...not to say there isn't one out there. I really feel there is more detailed info right here in these forums.

One word of caution...always keep safety in mind, first and foremost, when doing any modification.

Gary

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
If you don't want an aluminum receiver, you might be able to find a used AMT or you can buy a new steel receiver from Volquartsen(sp?)
Paul

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10/22T

At a local gun show this morning I bought a 10/22T ANIB. Paid under $200. Does this save me some steps? Is the barrel something I can use with great accuracy? Can someone tell me about the factory trigger? And the stock....?
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
536 Posts
you got a very good deal my friend!
the t has the "match" barrel (some dont agree, but good enough for most applications, maybe not super serious bench)
and it comes with the beautiful and functional stock.
Also, the trigger is already pretty light.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What next?

Tonight I was over at a neighbor's telling him about my latest interest, when he leaves and comes back with a 10/22. "Here, you can have it!" Cool!
Anyway, SN118-3XXXX, no barrel band, factory swivels and scope base. Is this something that I should set aside and save, or should I go ahead and use the receiver to build a custom beauty?
I'd like to strip the paint off of it and set it up polished or maybe chrome it. Match it up with stainless.....
Thanks for your help.
Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.