Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Game shears and squirrels

6204 Views 16 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  fw707
I was wondering if anyone here uses game shears for cleaning squirrels and if so what brand of shears have you found to be the best. Thanks.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
13,196 Posts
There's a feller on here that goes by the moniker of Boltaction that uses shears to clean squirrels from start to finish. He's very skilled with those shears. The new gerber shears are made in china and I understand that they are no good. Someone on here said that kershaw made a good set.

· Registered
2,923 Posts
Kershaws

Yep, the new Gerbers are junk. I got a set last year and the handle broke on the second squirrel.:mad:
The Kershaws have worked great. I cleaned around 100 squirrels with mine last season and they are still sharp.

· Premium Member
2,579 Posts
eyeman said:
I was wondering if anyone here uses game shears for cleaning squirrels and if so what brand of shears have you found to be the best. Thanks.
I just use a regular pair of garden shears. I remove the front paws first and procede to dress the Squirrel and then remove the hind paws and head by using the shears.

DAVID

· Registered
4,596 Posts
squirrel cleaning!!!

SARGE,tell those boys to come to shawnee squirrel hunt and ill show them first hand. ill clean all they kill.did i say that? they made 2 styles of gerber.
the old style did not come apart and they are the better ones. the new ones can be taken apart and they are not so good but work ok. my old ones are 4
or 5 years old still sharp as they ever was. thats been many many squirrels ago. sarge ive onlyseen 3 squirrels so far and have nailed them all. will be
going friday morning. see you fellows at shawnee.

steven green
boltaction

· Premium Member
13,196 Posts
Ok fellers! You heard Boltaction. Come to the shawnee hunt and he will clean all you shoot. If you have you have a limit of 5 squirrels it will take him less than 5 minutes to clean them. I can do that with my knife if I try, but it is amazing watching Boltaction doing it with shears. He is faster with his shears than I am with my knife.

· Registered
4,596 Posts
squirrel cleaning

SARGE,i thought you was at work. you must be sitting by the puter.
i believe i got myself in trouble. see you my friend. got to take my son
for his school physical. be back in a few hours.

boltaction

· Premium Member
13,196 Posts
Don't worry Boltaction. Squacks said he would clean any limit of squirrels got by using open sights. He hasn't had to clean a squirrel from that challenge yet.

· Registered
8,287 Posts
I always use the shears, it's much faster. My set are the old Gerbers, but they say "Fiskars" on the side, too bad they are China made now, big downfall of too too many good products. I'd rather they just went up on the stinking price of the things instead of downgrading to junk to keep the price status quo.

· Registered
2,923 Posts
boltaction said:
SARGE,tell those boys to come to shawnee squirrel hunt and ill show them first hand. ill clean all they kill.did i say that? they made 2 styles of gerber.
the old style did not come apart and they are the better ones. the new ones can be taken apart and they are not so good but work ok. my old ones are 4
or 5 years old still sharp as they ever was. thats been many many squirrels ago. sarge ive onlyseen 3 squirrels so far and have nailed them all. will be
going friday morning. see you fellows at shawnee.

steven green
boltaction
boltaction,
please don't take this the wrong way, but the cut-under-the-tail method is certainly nothing new. I've been using it for the last 20 years. I learned it from a family member who has probably killed more squirrels than most of us will ever see.
I have added the shears in the last couple of years to make it a LOT easier. The game shears I'm currently using are a set I bought last year at a Target store. They are the same as the Kershaw brand, but the package said "Eddie Bauer". They were less than $10 when I bought them. I bought a set for a friend and an extra set for myself. They come apart for cleaning and are very sturdy---even when cutting the heads off a gnarly old fox squirrel. I'll post a picture of them later.
Once the cut is made under the tail, the knife goes back in my pocket. The shears are used from that point on for everything including the head and feet removal and the gutting process. The REAL trick is to skin ALL the squirrels before you start the gutting/field dressing process.
I sure would like to get together with you guys sometime to kinda "fine tune" the process. The video clip was great.:t
It'll save a lot of the new folks a lot of time and trouble.

· Registered
4,596 Posts
game shears???

i bought mine at local walmart store. yep. fiskars are now the maker and maybe the name on one of mine. good luck! please be careful they are sharp and dangerous. taf , hope you find a way to post that video.

boltaction

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.