Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like I said-because I like to over complicate things I did some goggling and YouTubing and evidently there is a LED light option for indoor use with the Caldwell Chrono’s. I Billy Bobed one up with some duct tape and some LED lights I had laying around and repeated my test inside my garage. On average it increased the speeds of both rifles about 20 fps with each pellet.

60 degrees Chrono @ 10 feet

FWB 601
Crossman Premier 7.4gr
H 562 L 553 Average 559 fps

Meisterkuglen 8.2gr
H 577 L 558 Average 562 fps

RWS-R10 8.2gr
H 563 L 552 Average 556 fps

RWS Diana 75
Crossman Premier 7.4gr
H 599 L 582 Average 594 fps

Meisterkuglen 8.4gr
H 611 L 602 Average 606 fps

RWS -R10 8.4gr
H 611 L 605 Average 609 fps

I don’t know what’s considered spec for either rifle I’ve read the D75 tends to be a bit faster than the FWB 601. Again I wasn’t looking for a speed contest both rifles were consistent regardless of the pellet fired.

I think Iam done playing around with the Chrono and my wife says I spend to much time in the garage 🤦🏻

I do have a set of seals for the 601 but Iam not sure it’s worth messing with right now.

· Registered
807 Posts
They both appear to be in spec.
I think the FWB 600 series are the best looking Match rifles. Mechanically, I prefer the Diana, it's a mechanical work of art. That would be the end all be all... a Diana 75 that looks like a fwb 600 series rifle. I also like the Diana 100 and came close to buying one at the airgun show this past fall, but just didn't think I'd get enough use out of one. Maybe one day I'll break down and give one a try.

· Registered
6,569 Posts
I admit to a having a bit of a 'collector streak' in me as well as a mech engineer bent; at one time I entertained the thought of having an FWB 300S, the Walther LGR or one of the FWB600 series, and the D75; imo the 3 big engineering 'self contained' marvels coming at the 10m goal from different directions. Well, all together isnt going to happen but at this point Ive had the D75 and have the 600, neither has disappointed. In retrospect I should have maybe kept the D75 but I sold it to get into schuetzen, a fine diversion too.
So many guns, so little time.......

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I admit to a having a bit of a 'collector streak' in me as well as a mech engineer bent; at one time I entertained the thought of having an FWB 300, one of the 600 series, and the D75; imo the 3 big engineering 'self contained' marvels coming at the 10m goal from different directions. Well, all together isnt going to happen but at this point Ive had the D75 and have the 600, neither has disappointed. In retrospect I should have maybe kept the D75 but I sold it to get into schuetzen, a fine diversion too.
So many guns, so little time.......
I do have a nice D75 for sale I would make a deal with you 😉

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got into the 10m air rifle game kinda by accident and not knowing anything about them. I was looking for a cheaper way to practice offhand for small bore and service rifle. I bought my D75 off another forum on a whim it was supposed to have been rebuilt it shot fine for maybe 500 pellets and then lost pretty much all its velocity/accuracy. I sent it out to David Slade for repair so you could say I’ve paid for my education or lack of it. The D75 is a marvel of engineering and it will still out shoot me. I picked up my FWB 601 about a month ago again kinda on a whim looking for something maybe a little bit newer and hoping/thinking somehow it would be the “magic wand” and miraculously raise my scores 🤦🏻 I was wrong on that part. I like both rifles but the 601 “feels” better to me but my scores are a little below what I’ve shot with the D75 maybe time and more practice will fix that. I have the D75 for sale not because I don’t like it but more I don’t really have “room” for two air rifles. Iam more into to the milsurp/service rifle game. The 10m game is fun and great practice but it’s also frustrating and humbling.

· Registered
6,569 Posts
Ha, ha.....Ive been in a bunch of shooting games too and ime they are ALL frustrating and humbling interspersed with moments of brilliance.......
I'm also in the boat now in retirement with a fixed income (complete with daily reducing buying power) and cant justify more than one 'new' tier 1 air rifle.
I expect you would like my original '23 Springfield match rifle ;) (but it is NOT for sale).

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha, ha.....Ive been in a bunch of shooting games too and ime they are ALL frustrating and humbling interspersed with moments of brilliance.......
I'm also in the boat now in retirement with a fixed income (complete with daily reducing buying power) and cant justify more than one 'new' tier 1 air rifle.
I expect you would like my original '23 Springfield match rifle ;) (but it is NOT for sale).
The nice thing about milsurps is sometimes they’re half wore piles of crap and you can blame the rifle 😂10m rifles not so much 😳…..Iam almost in the same boat….I would be willing to take the 03 on trade for the D75 😉

· Registered
6,569 Posts
This one aint just yer average Nat Match.
Think '1000yd, any sight match with kit to convert to sgl. shot 300m International Match'. May have been used by one of the US guys trialing for the 1924 I.M. that the special I.M. Springfields were built for.
Oh yeah, and German dbl set triggers.
Snicky :)

· Registered
6,569 Posts
OMG
My 600 is,IS....sooo, ummm, Fine (duh, the FWB name, I should have known)
Magnificent
No Regrets
Ive already made a diy offhand shooting rest/stand, it is a chunk if you cant put it down now and then. Still need to make a pellet tray off the pole.
Messed about with the cheek piece height and buttplate position to better fit me for a neutral position through the sights.
May need to get some risers for the sights to keep a heads-up sight line, will see how it goes.
I know palm rests arent allowed in sanctioned matches but I'll never be in one; already making plans for a rail to fit one I have in the bins.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OMG
My 600 is,IS....sooo, ummm, Fine (duh, the FWB name, I should have known)
Magnificent
No Regrets
Ive already made a diy offhand shooting rest/stand, it is a chunk if you cant put it down now and then. Still need to make a pellet tray off the pole.
Messed about with the cheek piece height and buttplate position to better fit me for a neutral position through the sights.
May need to get some risers for the sights to keep a heads-up sight line, will see how it goes.
I know palm rests arent allowed in sanctioned matches but I'll never be in one; already making plans for a rail to fit one I have in the bins.
It would be interesting to see what you come up with for a palm rest for your 600 I’ve been playing with some ideas myself.

I made a palm rest/riser for the D75 but that was pretty easy.

I have a set of sight risers coming for the 601 I would like to get a little more upright shooting/sight picture. Hopefully they work out

· Registered
6,569 Posts
As envisioned:
Palm rest 'rail' will be a simple length of strong flat alum stock with two T bolts to mount it into the accessory rail in the forend. It will have the palm ball at the trigger end with some little height adjustment and the balance point can be adjusted back/forth in the acc. rail.
If needed a 'jack-screw' can be incorporated near the ball mount to support up to the stock (with a buffer pad 'foot').
What height risers are you getting?

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made a palm riser for my Anschutz 22lr and my D75 using a similar technique. The 601 might be a little harder due to the sloped forend I’ve seen pics were guys made a “wedge” to square up the forend on the 601. Iam going to hold off making a palm riser for the time being. I ordered Gehmann adjustable sight risers P/N GE-844 (13mm-28mm) I should have them soon we’ll see how or if they’ll work. Iam sure you know the dovetail on FWB’s is slightly wider than Anschutz or Walther

· Registered
6,569 Posts
10/4 on the 'nominal' 1mm dovetails, mine measure out about .460, 11mm is .433.
Dont need a 'leveling wedge' unless doing it for a benchrest; the palm rest balancing point is well back (on mine) to the level flat near the action mounting screw. My envisioned acc. rail mounted piece would extend back from the forearm angle which will give the ball some built in 'distance' beneath.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts