Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one of the guys that has been getting ready to try changing loads on a 22 Mag ammo, ie. pulling the bullet and reseating the bullet under a stronger charge. Well as most of you know this is considered DANGERIOUS, granted. Many of the locals here on RC advise against this with good intentions in mind. Then I came across a pinned thread in the 22 ammo forum below. It is labeled "Paco Kelly’s .22 ACU’RZR and NASTINOSE Rimfire Bullet Tool", being pinned I take it that this item is endorsed by RC(just my take) . The tool is basically a 22 chamber with a allignment hole on top so you can hit the round with a hammer to increase the diameter of the bullet or the size of the hollow point. ISN"T THAT DANGERIOUS??? No on rimfire reloading but thumbs up on hitting a rimfire round with a hammer, huh?:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
A thought that I've had along those lines would be that an accidental "captured" detonation with a press bearing down as opposed to a hammer that would be easily blown away would create a LOT more "chamber" pressure, and resultant consequences...

...just one of the considerations to make if you do so. If you are bound and determined to do it, I'd strongly suggest you take that into consideration when deciding what methods you plan to use..

Failure to factor that in, plus an unexpected detonation in a confined cartridge that had no means for venting could ruin your day, big time, and anyone close to you as well. The chances of detonation a rimfire are light years beyond the same chances of lighting up a centerfire.

Ron

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Not Endorsements

robbor,

Mention of a Web Site in a "Sticky" Post is NOT an endorsement of that Site or of their products by RFC or any of its Members...! !

A Link is merely provided for the convenience of RFC Users to find information, so that they may decide on the merits of the idea, product, price or service...! !

Note: The Link to "Paco Kelly's Accurizer" has been removed...! !

RFC takes no responsibility for anything that maybe found at any of the Linked Sites...! !

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have reloaded some 22 mag to a lower power for subsonic rounds, it works but I lack a reloading press so my methods are primative but safe. There was a post under 22mag ammo about reloading 22 mag with regular 223 bullets like I use that I printed. I printed the linked info that is.

·
Registered
961 Posts
"ISN'T THAT DANGEROUS?"

Well to answer your question robbor, NO, not particularly. I've reformed a couple thousand rounds of solid and HP rounds now, not just LR, but a few Shorts too. Nothing has gone BLAMMO! except the modified loads when loaded into the chamber of a .22 rifle or handgun and discharged by the weapons fireingpin striking the rim.
Mr. Kelly issues a set of instructions with each of his tools.
Safety Glasses and hearing protection and gloves are strongly recommended. - Also stressed is the use of a hard flat surface under the tool during use - no little protrusions that in any way might resemble a firing pin:rolleyes: As an additional safety measure, I use a heavy stainless steel tray with 2" sides and the same shop apron I use for reloading my centerfire rounds.

I'd place the danger level of Mr Kelly's little tool at about the same level as my Dillon progressive press.

BTW: Have you TRIED the gadget? :confused:

Got a question of my own for the Moderator... Why remove a link on an item because of a PERCEIVED danger:confused:

taptap taptap taptap:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Implied Endorsement

Ziplok,
Got a question of my own for the Moderator... Why remove a link on an item because of a PERCEIVED danger? :confused:
The direct Link was removed because of the implied endorsement of RFC...! ! :(

Today, there are far too many inexperienced shooters visiting RFC that 'might' get into trouble using such a device without a complete and proper understanding of "rimfire" ammunition...! ! :eek:

When I see questions asked in the Forums that are clearly covered in the "Ruger" Instruction Manual; when I read "I threw the manual away", "can I shoot .22LR's in my .22 Mag?", or "my 10/22 went full auto", I have serious reservations about the competence of some of today's RFC users...! ! :(

Anyone with two bits worth of PC savvy could find his Site in less than a minute...! ! :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The very fact that eye protection and gloves are "strongly recommended," tells me a lot about the safety of the procedure! I wouldn't be caught dead doing anything to a rimfire cartridge that involves hitting it with a hammer regardless of what "expert" makes or recommends the tool. He isn't the one who is going to lose his eyesight or life if something goes wrong!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
If you want to soop up a .22 Mag., maybe you should get a .22 Hornet? I'm thinking the chamber pressure on a HV .22 LR is around 24,000 lbs., while a .38 Special is around 17,000! These lil cartridges ae hotter than most realize, and dangerous too!

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can't sup up a 22 mag much or the case will pop. By reloading you can use "real" 223 bullets of your choice, each powder charge can be as close to the same as your scale will get, and you can load lower power rounds to your hearts content. And I just like to dable. I have never loaded a load with a higher than factory powder weight, I use the factory powder in smaller weights, for accuracy and playing around. Worse thing I have done is stick a few bullets in the barrel playing with real low power loads. The "real" 223 bullets take more umph to travel the barrel than a copper platted one.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
When I see questions asked in the Forums that are clearly covered in the "Ruger" Instruction Manual; when I read "I threw the manual away", "can I shoot .22LR's in my .22 Mag?", or "my 10/22 went full auto", I have serious reservations about the competence of some of today's RFC users...! !
I would hope these 'experimenters' listen and understand the words of wisdom provided by the above posts. However, you can hope in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which fills up first. Don't be a 'Casualty of Stupidity.'

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Lynxus said:
The "real" 223 bullets take more umph to travel the barrel than a copper platted one.
I'm kind of concerned about this statement. By inferrence it seems that the writer is speaking of using "223" bullets in a LONG RIFLE cartridge... or the complete lack of understanding of the projectile in a 22 Magnum. Either way, if it is more than a "brain fart" during the writing, and in actuality, part of the perceived understanding, there are possible reprocussions involved.

I cannot say that at some time I might do some juggling myself if I get back into actively shooting the magnum, so therefore, I can't say "don't do it" since I personally might fool with it myself someday..

...BUT... getting involved in these sorts of things involves total understanding of all sides of the equation. .......Or suffering the consequences if things go bad.

The statement is correct... however the way it is presented gives me pause...

Ron

·
Registered
203 Posts
AaaaaSoooooooo Grasshopper

Some 22mag factory rounds have copper platted or washed bullets and some have a very thin copper jacket, nothing like the toughness of a good .223 round. It takes more power to push the "real" .223 bullet.

I only use 22 mag or 22WRF brass, do not want to damage myself or the marlin 25.

In general the bullets are much easier to pull in the 22 WRF brass from CCI, there is no crimp. The brass is a little shorter but the non 22 mag .223 bullets are a little longer.

I do not think you can load a .223 bullet in a 22LR case,,,never tried,,,,,,

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Extremely Dangerous Practice...! ! ! !

Lynxus,
The "real" 223 bullets take more umph to travel the barrel than a copper platted one.
I share Ron's concern....! ! :(

Ammunition manufacturers 'tailor' bullet jacket alloys, thicknesses, bearing surfaces, and hardness for the particular application of the bullet, ie, the specific cartridge into which it is to be loaded...! ! :eek:

Although the following calibers are all nominally .308", their bullets are of dramatically different constructions:
.30 M1 Carbine
.30/30 [.307"]
.30/40 Krag
.300 Savage
.308 Win & .30/06
.300 Win Mag

You could be increasing the .22 WMR chamber pressure by 50% to 100% , which puts the pressures in the Proof and beyond range...! ! :eek: :eek:

I hope your "dabbling" doesn't get you blown-up...! ! :(

·
Registered
203 Posts
The ones I dabble with just go poooffffffffffff,----------------
-------------splat.

And my 1898 30-40 Krag will shoot any 308 dia. bullet, it just needs the longer 180 grain plus ones for better groups, as with my 30-30 it needs a bullet with a thin jacket in the front section for better expansion on game because they are both slow shooters. The 30-30 bore is .307 on some rifles but with a gun in good condition a 308 bullet will swag down to that size easy. My Mod. 94 30-30 slugged at a micro nanner of a gnats wisker above .308 and it loves 130-180 grain loads.

If the gun was designed to shoot jacketed bullets any 308 bullet will go down the bore OK, The pressure in the case will go up or down with the size of the bullet and or powder used yes. That is why you drop the powder charge when you load a heavier bullet with the same powder.

If you use too little powder you can also create a danger level as all the powder flashes at once, mamy have found this out looking for sub-sonic loads. In a 22 mag case this is pretty much a mute point with factory powder. All you do is stick the bullet in the barrel is there is not enough charge,

With the 22 mag I started real small and worked up real slow. Using a 55 grain PSP and "part" of a factory load I get a real quite squirrel popper that shoots better and packs more pop than a quite 22lr round.

I'm not even going to mention some of the loads I have for a 223 Rem.

I have reloaded quite abit, I just do not have a press right now, I gave my single stage away and havn't found the $$$$ to buy a turrent or Dillion 550 yet.;) ;) ;) ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.