Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe my brain is fried and i just can't think of any, but....

I am looking for a full size, steel frame & slide, 22LR pistol, . I have in mind a CZ 75 Kadet, and im just wondering if there are any other options out there besides a 1911 style that i might be missing.

I have a walther P-22 for plinking and general fun, camping/backpacking, so im covered in that arena. I looked at a Sig Mosquito and they are nice, and a little bigger than my Walther, but im not really interested in it since it's got a ploymer frame.

Main use would be basically the same as my Walther (camping/backpacking excluded), but i want the features mentioned above. Call it a step up in quality and accuracy.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DW

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Full size? i guess my guns arent? I can see me going to my LGS and asking for a "1/3 size gun". LOL

IAC.

there are Colt 1911s. ACE, or ACE conversion unit. Jarvis also made a stell upper for the 1911.

Theres the CZ Kadet as you havd found.

EAA has a conversion kit too. they are steel. if you like them big and heavy, they are.

theres the Pachmyr Browning HP conversion (not made anymore)

Theres the BHP conversion by MACS. not vary good quality tho.

SIg had a 22LR conversion for their P220, but they are vary rare and vary expensive.

If youre willing to be flexable in your choice of "steel/steel" then it would open up possibilities.

instead of going with a "conversion" why not go with a 22LR gun.

also, if youre open to Revolvers, or other platforms/materials there are:

S&W 617, M17, K22, 63, and others.
S&W M41, 422
Browning, BUckmarks and similar
Colt Diamondback, Trooper, Trooper Mk3, SAAs
Colt woodsman and the likes
Berertta 92 and conversions. also many 22 pistols in the cougar flavor
High Standards
Kimbers 1911 conversions
Ruger auto pistols
Ruger Single Sixes, bisleys, vaquero and Bear cats
Ruger SP101 (discontinued)
Walthers, PP, PPK, PPK/s, TPH

im sure i left out alot

·
Premium Member
30,682 Posts
Probably the best all steel, full size (for a 22)pistol is the S&W model 41. By stating "pistol" you would be referring to a handgun that has a chamber integral with the barrel.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Full sized huh? I can give you full sized. If you don't mind a revolver that is.

How about the one at the bottom? The top one is a Ruger Bearcat. The middle one is a Ruger Single-Six with a 4 3/4" barrel.

The bottom one is a Dan Wesson, Model 22. It is a BIG handgun. Built on the same frame DW used to build their 38/357 revolvers it's about the size of an "L" frame Smith and Wesson. This one has a six inch barrel. (The barrels are interchangable by the way.) I can carry it in the crook of my arm like a rifle and it's perfectly comfortable. The trigger is just great. The D/A is as smooth as the baby's butt, the S/A is like glass breaking. (That's about all the cliche's I've got, but the trigger is that good.)

Dan Wesson is long out of business, and they didn't make but so many of anything, even fewer 22's, so you'll have to look for one. (CZ sells parts for them.) They show up on Gunbroker from time to time. I paid $350.00 for this one, the dealer was asking $400.00. Some people say $350.00 was too high. I was glad to find it.

Did I mention that it shoots too? If you miss, it ain't the guns fault. :D

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, i've always liked the S&W 41...a bit too pricey for me. I am pretty certain i will be going with a CZ Kadet, or Kadet Kit after i get a CZ 75 of some sort.

The Beretta 87 look pretty nice too. i'll look around to see if any local shops have one i can handle.

I went to the shop yesterday and found a used (not abused) CZ75 B SA in .40, for $399. its not exactly what i was looking for as a base pistol, for the Kadet kit, but after playing with it and comparing it to a standard 75B, i kinda like it. gotta do some more research on it before i give it serious consideration to buy.

thanks for the input,
DW

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ceiner also makes a .22lr kit for the Beretta 92 and one for the Hi-Power - but the slides are aluminum.

If you can compromise on the steel content some more, you could get a Glock 17 and put a rimfire conversion from Advantage Arms.

Just my opinion - but before I spent the money on a S&W 41, I would seriously consider a 1911 frame with the Marvel or the STI conversion. You don't have to have a high-dollar frame to get great accuracy from those conversions, and the customization options are endless.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"The last one I purchased was in 98% condition for $450."

I seriously doubt i will have that knd of luck around where i live...

Found this while researching S&W 41:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36434

It mentions a few peoples purchase price...the original post was dated 5/08, so it gives me a good reference of what to expect if i end up looking and find a S&W 41. It's out of my price range, especially considering those are used prices.

I want a factory new 22 pistol. whether i buy a CZ75 Kadet pistol, or a used CZ 75 of some sort and buy a new Kadet Kit for it...

I have pretty much made up my mind to get the CZ, just gotta work out some details before i make the leap to purchase

Thanks,
DW

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The 41 is an excellent gun and worth every penny - I have a 5 1/2 barrel with open sights and a 7 inch with a red-dot sight - accurate, reliable, all steel.

I picked up a Kadet, the full 22 pistol not the conversion unit this winter. Very cool gun! Mine has been very reliable - it shoots SV or HV ammo flawlessly.

I've read on the CZ site where some guys have had problems fitting the conversion unit to their frames - most don't have a problem but it seems to occur.

An HKS loader can be modified to load the 22 magazines.

The sights on the Kadet are adjustable rear with luminous dots - they're "combat" type sights - they work fine. If there's a hitch with mine it's the trigger has a bit of creep - I'm fussy about triggers, I shoot Smith revolvers, the 41 and tuned 1911's - all have very crisp triggers. The CZ trigger is very manageable, the more I shoot mine the better I can hit with it.
I really like the feel of the CZ in my grip - the weight is good, controls very good. The accuracy is excellent - at 50 feet the groups aren't all that much bigger than my 41. I went with the Kadet pistol cause I have several centerfire auto pistols but wanted a CZ. I wanted to see what all the hype was and now know how really good the CZ 75 is - Jeff Cooper only praised 1911's and the CZ 75.

I also put an AA 22 conversion unit on a Glock 17 - it's cool, reliability isn't great, accuracy is surprisingly good but it's so light it's difficult to shoot. I packed it through the woods last year for blue grouse and I couldn't even feel it on my belt. I prefer the Kadet but Glocks have their own charisma.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1911nut,

Im glad to hear that you are happy with your Kadet. I can't recal ever reading anything that negative about them...the points you mentioned are the only complaints, and they are minor.

I have shot a couple of CZ 75's (a couple different flavors of 9mm's, never a .40 though) and a CZ 97. I really like shooting the 75, and have wanted one for years now.

My great debat is whether to buy a 75 in 9mm, then get the Kadet converion kit, or just skip the 9mm and get the CZ 75 Kadet pistol. I'll probably go with the first choice...i have decided not to get the 40 i mentioned earlier, i would prefer a 9mm

As for the 1911 style, I like it, but im not interested in it right now, but beleive me, a kimber is on my list of must haves...just not at the top.

DW

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
DW,

A CZ 75 with the Kadet Conversion Unit would be an excellent set-up.

Some continue to denigrate the 9mm. I find it very shootable, there's a wide variety of ammo available and the hot stuff like Corbon et al would provide more than adequate self protection.

I've got a Glock, Sig, Ruger, S&W revolver and a Colt 1911 in 9mm - that's the main reason I didn't go with the 9mm CZ.

Having shot a CZ 75 you know how well that pistola fits the human hand.

Good luck with your planned acquistion.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, i know how well it fits my hand! A friend of mine wanted to get his NY pistol permit last year, so i helped him shop since he didn't know anything at all about guns in general, especially handgunds. He ended up choosing a CZ75 B, 9mm in stainless...what a beauty! He actually like Sig's better, but the price tag kept him from getting one.

After i make my purchases and after the kadet kit goes on, it will probably seldom come off, but i want the option to shoot something high power off the same frame, and i like that the weight and balance will be close with either...plus the trigger will be the same.

Thanks for all the input,

DW

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.