Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain what a front sight iris is for? Does it replace the insert in a globe sight, or does it do something else? Do you need a special front sight to install one, or will any Anschutz front sight accept one?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
In general an iris is an adjustable aperture (hole). An adjustable front sight iris is just an adjustable front aperture. I have one on my smallbore rifle. Anschutz front sights are the most common and to my knowledge most any of the 18mm adj. front iris's will screw right in. Mine has a little jam nut that is used to lock it into position. They are particularly good if you shoot indoor/outdoor. With the varying light conditions and slightly different bull sizes they can be a help. Also, an option is to get them with sort of cross wires that come out from the aperture. Some have just two and some have four. These are a good reference to insure a consistant cant.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
One point, the foresight irises that just screw straight in only are only adjustable for the aperture size. If you like a small aperture, you usually get a thick ring, much thicker than with metal or perspex elements.

For those amongst us who do like thick rings, the screw in irises are great. You aren't limited to 0.1mm steps, but can vary the aperture infinitely.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, how do they attach? Do you just remove the locking ring that normally holds the insert in place, and screw the iris into that opening? Or do you have to have a sight with threads in the end that faces the shooter?

Thanks again,

John

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
On an older anschutz tunnel (I'll presume you have an Anschutz) that is threaded at one end only, most people have the locking collar facing them. Newer tunnels are threaded at both ends. If yours is threaded at the front only, turn it around. I don't think having the iris at the front end is a good idea.

To fit one, yes you remove the locking ring, and screw in the iris. If yours has leveling bars it will take a little fiddling to seat it tight and to the bars set for your degree of cant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.