·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Kansas City, Missouri
-------------------------
Outdoor at 25 yards
248-4x. Adam Tibbs. Kansas City, Missouri. (Age 17)
Ruger 10/22. Simmons 6.5x20. Lapua Midas L.
VQ CF Barrel, Kidd trigger.
Outdoor at 50 yards
199-2x Adam Tibbs. Kansas City, Missouri. (Age 17)
Ruger 10/22. Simmons 6.5x20. Wolf MT.
WFM barrel, Kidd trigger.
This game is especially tough at 50 yards. Even when it seems there is
no
wind I can't seem to get above 210 or so. I'm going to try and rig up
something
to read the wind for next month.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Nice 25yd score Adam!

Recipe for simple wind flags
(2) 5/8" dowels- 3' long or you can use old broom handles for uprights
(2) 1/2 or 3/4" plywood bases cut 1' square for bases
(1) wire coathanger to be inserted into the end of the uprights
8' construction ribbon (you choose flavor) tied to the other end of the coathanger
a. drill 1/8" holes in one end of the dowels ( broomhandles) approx 1 1/2" deep.
b. find center of bases and drill hole to fit the other end of the dowel (B-H), glue in place.
c. cut hanger into two equal pieces and bend into a "L" shape with the long end slightly drooping. bent this end into a loose loop for attaching the ribbon.
d. insert the short end coat hanger into the 1/8 hole in the dowel and attach the ribbon.
e. paint to taste.
These will give you a good idea of wind direction and speed......total cost under 12.00 not including paint, varnish....Band-aids.........ect.

FWIW JL

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Those are nice homemade probes there shakey. Hows about a close up picture. I would like to try and make some. I wonder if a beer can would work for the top???

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Pics soon

Thanks!
I'll see what I can do for closeups, maybe tomorrow evening though.

Beer can? Sure, why not!! My first one used 2 dixie cups, worked fine but they deteriorated with time and a couple of stray 22 bullets.

·
Registered
691 Posts
This game is especially tough at 50 yards. Even when it seems there is
no
wind I can't seem to get above 210 or so. I'm going to try and rig up
something
to read the wind for next month.

Thanks,
Adam
I shoot at Parma Woods near Parkville, MO.
I shoot at that range practicing for ARA and it is ONE TOUGH RANGE! I usually have 3-5 flags out and even then with the baffels and such it causes up and down conditions that are hard to track.

Remember this, if the wind is not blowing the air is doing something. Just got back from the ARA Nationals and one of my worst targets was in "calm" conditions. Calm is unstable and unreadable. Give me a steady 2-5 mph wind and I am happy.

If you ever happen to be there when I am (I am in a wheelchair and hard to miss) say hi. I have made some wind flags myself and might be able to help you out with making some yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.