Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Free Topper to whoever has a 5/8-Rod Scope Stand (w/ ½ x 20 threads) to adapt the scope stand into an offhand rest.

Our 4H shooters needed an offhand rest when shooting CMP Standing position. After pricing offhand stands we looked at less-expensive alternatives. A few (or their parents) already had 5/8 rod scope stands, typically part of a Freeland scope stand but also some from other manufacturers. We found that under the red ball there are ½ x 20 threads. So a piece of 3” x 4” flatbar with nut welded on the bottom and a repurposed rubber mouse pad on the top, turned the scope stand into an offhand rest. Somewhat crude but so far as Google is concerned there is no other source for these.

After equipping all our shooters we have 5-6 of these “Toppers” left over. Free as long as they last. “I’ll take one” here and PM your shipping info.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I don't need one, but it is generous of you to offer them.

And I would not apologize one teeny bit for being creative and handy to adapt some similar stand to fit your needs. Not enough of that anymore these days. Too many lazy people who run to Wmart to try to buy what they need instead of doing a little work like you did.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
We have a similar situation at our range but

We have a similar situation at our range but we tackled it with a different approach.

With a couple of us working construction and access to almost unlimited lumber scraps, we would take pieces of 2x4 and combined with a 5 foot piece of 2x4 (rather rare in a scrap heap, we had to purchase some 10 footers), were able to make twenty or so offhand stands for our shooters.

For what it is worth, if you take the plastic shell holder from eley, rws, or Sk, and cut 1/4 inch off the legs, screw it to the top platform, you have a nice cheap ammo holder for the kiddies.

Regards,
Crankster

1 - 15 of 15 Posts