Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
model 06

Sam-congratulations on your find. Possibly the best place to find 06 stocks is on ebay; they show up there quite often. Boyd's also makes a repro stock for the 06 and others, but the one I got for a 61 was too thick (though it fit o.k. on the tang) and about an inch and a half too long. Good luck-Asa

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you are good with wood, Henry at www.gunstocks.com is a good man to get wood from. I use his stocks for everything and 2 pc sets start at 125.00 and will have more color than anything from the fac. I have a fancy 62A he supplied wood for that I have case colored and put a 1890 long hex bbl on for myself. It will be a real looker when it's all finished. You might give him a try....good luck,

xx

www.martincustom.com

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
06 stocks

According to Ned Schwing in his Winchester slide action .22 book, walnut stocks could be special ordered for the 06. This was a catalog offering between 1931-'34, but walnut was seen on 06's made after this date. The rationale behind the 06 was to offer an inexpensive alternative to the 1890-and a rifle that was chambered for the long rifle which didn't happen in the 1890 for years. One of the ways to keep the cost lower was the use of gumwood. Since it was softer than walnut, it tended to scar and gouge easily, one of the reasons for so many 06's with poor stocks. Oddly, I have three 06's all of which have excellent original gumwood. -Asa

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replys.The old gun is well worn,but being manf. in 1913 its not too bad.I think I'll get a book on it and tear it down this winter.The stock is more worn than beat up.I see some really nice pic of some on here,hope I can get it looking like them.I feel lucky to have found it.The guy had 4 pump Rossi'es and it.He made me package deal on them. Sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.