Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many "fouling shots" do you waste after cleaning before you expect zero to return and groups to tighten back up. I don't clean alot for this very reason. Also, Wolf MT is my squirrel head "bad medicine", but if I do any summer bull-frogging, I'm going to have to find a suitable HV hollow point and re-zero. I've knocked'em into next week, but those legs'll keep on kicking if you don't sever the spine. I shoot from a canoe and it ****es me off when they make it to the current before I can get to them (good eating wasted). Should I stay away from copper jacketed or just use remover after the summer? I don't even know if anyone still makes a non-jacketed HP. Thanks

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Some say it takes 1" a round to foul the barrel, your results may vary. Very small kill zone for a frog. Used to use a bow back in the day, or a long gig.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have found that so far it takes about 10-15 rounds for my rifle to settle down when I make the mistake of fully cleaning it.

As for hunting, try the CCI SGB (small game bullet). It's a smacker for sure and seems to shoot quite similar to the standard velocity or the Wolf MT. In my setup (MKII FV in Tacticool) I am zeroed at 50 with the Wolf MT and the CCI SGB hits 1mil high. Makes the aiming quite easy.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
The Auto Match shoots about 1/2" groups in my rifle @ 50, usually not one small hole like the wolf, but it's one of the more accurate big box ammo's and has a velocity around 1200 FPS, should have more knock down power.

With the wolf, its 10 to 15 rounds, 10 will usually do it and I load 6 and fire one off to the side before shooting the other 5 if I just use ten rounds to season.
I'm one who cleans my barrel after every shooting session. I find the groups to stay more accurate and consistant that way. It does burn some extra ammo, but my groups are smaller because of it.

Some almost never clean their barrel, others like myself clean more often, it's just how you like to do it.

My best, Jhn K

·
Registered
181 Posts
My FV-SR seems to be spot on in the field for cold bore shots. Of course not every rifle is the same so you have to find out for you.

What range are you zeroed in for? My frog hunting days called for about 10 yards 1st zero, hardly ever shot them farther than 20 yards.

Try CCI standard velocity for Low Cost accuracy, hollow points will zip right through making extra noise with no return. Remember sound travels through water at a greater speed than air spooking anything else for dinner.

QUIET is good for hunting.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
If you are getting a first shot right with the others with a Savage, consider yourself very lucky. I'm usually shooting 50 Yds, so there will be a bigger difference.
Amazing just how much quieter the sub sonic is than the big box ammo that is going around 1200 FPS.

Good hunting, Frog legs are yummy :bthumb:

My Best, John K

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Normally, I run a wet patch and two dry one's through my barrels to remove the excess build up of whatever. Then it'll usually take 5 -10 shots using Wolf MT for my groups to settle down. If I change ammo in the middle of a session, I usually have to fire another 5 - 10 rds of the new ammo before the groups produce what is expected. I will say some of the top of the line ammo takes far fewer rounds to acclimate the barrel to it, more in the range of 3 - 5 rounds. But now we're talking ammo that runs between $15 - $25 a box of 50. At .50 a round, those fowlers gets expensive.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I also think it has something to due with the lube on the Wolf and some others.

John K

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Blue Danube,
I'm zeroed at 25 yds right now, that's my typical squirrel range. I agree, I'm usually right on top of frogs (10 yds. or less) and they often spook before I can get my canoe stopped. When my grandson gets a little older he can be the shooter (I could hit 'em on the drift when I had to)! I'll have to play around a see where POI is that close. I've got mil dots on my scope and may be able to use one or just take it off and shoot iron. I am surprised that with the Wolf MT zeroed at 25 yds. my impact is approx. 1 " low at 50 yd. I would have thought even an SV would be rising (in relation to line of sight)between 25 & 50 and would be slightly high?

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Most likely because the wolf is moving slower compared to the faster non sub sonic ammo,

John K

·
Registered
181 Posts
Try zeroing one half inch high at 25 yards, with subs it puts me dead on at 50..... For me this zero also works well with CBee's out to 25, simply swap mags and cycle bolt once.

Good deal with grandson! More people need to get our youth out and learning fieldcraft skills.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
On my Mk II BTV it seems 15-25 shots for things to settle in when changing ammo

This was shot w/ remington "target" stuff from wally world after 100 rounds of wolf, target is resized but the coin is a dime

·
Registered
57 Posts
It depends

I shot some very dirty ammo recently that prompted me to ambitiously clean my rifle to within an inch of its life today. It was a real flash of anal retentiveness I'm not usually known for. I'm talking a near complete tear-down of a perfectly functioning piece of equipment just to remove some dirt. It wasn't this clean when I bought it new.

Then I went to the range and the first shot was dead center in the 10-ring! I couldn't have centered the hole better with a paper punch. The next 2 dozen shots had minds of their own, however.

Usually when I just send a patch or two down the barrel with some solvent and follow with 2 dry patches, it takes 5-10 shots to get things dialed in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.