Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Forgive my ignorance...what is a "Shilen/Bentz" chamber?

8483 13
I was reading about Shilen barrels and they say

"Chamber: Shilen/Bentz, designed for optimum accuracy in semi-autos"

OK, so what does that mean? I was under the impression that aftermarket 10/22 barrels were pretty universal, in the sense that you could buy one and mount it without much fuss.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,842 Posts
Shilen is the Mfg.
Bentz is the chamber spec.

Shilen is among the top Mfg's

As long as the barrel...any barrel is made for the 10/22 is will mount to the Rec., that is where all are alike ends. Kid and RT have their own Prop. chambers and do not openly show them...TacSol is a "tweener" which is between Sporting and Bentz.. nemohunter a RFC famous re-chamber guy has one he calls SupaMatch...Read up in the barrel section.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16859
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298548
http://coolguyguns.com/webstore/ind...Path=6&zenid=d4484976d5ca3bab8f93f686a9f77ac0

.22LR Chamber Dimensions:

Type______Length__Mouth Dia._Throat Dia._Taper @ Throat
Sporting____0.7751"____0.2307"____0.2270"
Bentz______0.6900"____0.2270"____0.2255"_____1.5° Taper
Match _____0.6876"____0.2267"____0.2248"
Win 52-D___0.5800"____0.2278"____0.2248"_____2.0° Taper

The "Ruger" 10/22 factory chamber is the "Sporting" chamber above.
The "Bentz" chamber is the 'match' chamber for semi-autos.
The "Match" chamber is for bolt actions.
The "Win M52-D" is a bolt action target rifle.

.22 Long Rifle Headspace: .0425" GO // .045" NO-GO

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I was reading about Shilen barrels and they say

"Chamber: Shilen/Bentz, designed for optimum accuracy in semi-autos"

OK, so what does that mean? I was under the impression that aftermarket 10/22 barrels were pretty universal, in the sense that you could buy one and mount it without much fuss.
Chaser has some good info posted...

Basically the Bentz chamber is better than the sporter chamber... but there are tighter and more accurate chambers out there for the 10/22...

I have a barrel with Nemohunter's Supamatch chamber... I have had 0 reliability issues related to it... and it shoots like a dream. :D :bthumb:

·
Registered
20,842 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
bentz chamber

Chaser, I had 4 of these Tactical Solution 18" stainless (not aluminum) threaded ended Bentz chambered bbl's they were selling in 08. TacSol did venture into the benchrest barrels for a bit there. I sold 2 of them and finally after all this time built one on a Tactical Innovations receiver. I had a stock I bought from either Passinby or Swampfox (can't remember which one I bought it from) sitting on my shelf for 2 years also. I put a Rimfire Technologies 1st gen trigger group in it, mounted one of the cheap Simmons Banner 3x9 scopes on it I have on my site and proceeded to sight it in with 10 rounds. I'm selling it so didn't want to shoot it over 10 rds. Anyway, with the cheap scope and shooting off a padded gunbox w/my jacket, I got a 1/4" group at 50 yds with it with the last 2 rounds of Federal Target ammo. (I hate sighting in semi-auto's with no bore sight and no clue where it's hitting). I'd venture to say with a better scope and a solid rest, I could get close to one hole groups with this rifle. The Bentz chamber and stainless bbl tho REALLY help w/the accuracy. I like this one because it's also threaded ended.

·
Registered
20,842 Posts
Chaser, I had 4 of these Tactical Solution 18" stainless (not aluminum) threaded ended Bentz chambered bbl's they were selling in 08. TacSol did venture into the benchrest barrels for a bit there. I sold 2 of them and finally after all this time built one on a Tactical Innovations receiver. I had a stock I bought from either Passinby or Swampfox (can't remember which one I bought it from) sitting on my shelf for 2 years also. I put a Rimfire Technologies 1st gen trigger group in it, mounted one of the cheap Simmons Banner 3x9 scopes on it I have on my site and proceeded to sight it in with 10 rounds. I'm selling it so didn't want to shoot it over 10 rds. Anyway, with the cheap scope and shooting off a padded gunbox w/my jacket, I got a 1/4" group at 50 yds with it with the last 2 rounds of Federal Target ammo. (I hate sighting in semi-auto's with no bore sight and no clue where it's hitting). I'd venture to say with a better scope and a solid rest, I could get close to one hole groups with this rifle. The Bentz chamber and stainless bbl tho REALLY help w/the accuracy. I like this one because it's also threaded ended.

Very cool:bthumb: :bthumb: I forgot about those barrels :bonk:

·
Registered
316 Posts
bolt

Chaser, yeah, they didn't make them but one year and nobody wanted them so I figured what the heck, build one and see what it'll do. btw, I put a Randy @ CPC refurbished bolt in that thing also. It's a nice rifle. I'll probably end up putting it on Gunbroker. I haven't gotten any nibbles on it yet. If I don't sell it soon tho, it's a keeper.

I REALLY like your rifle you have tho. you know the one with the red receiver and I think a Kidd bbl?? Is that right?? What were those groups from 25 yds or 50?? REALLY Nice groups. Makes your trip to the range soooo smooth when you get groups like that.

You have any Chargers?? My next project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.