• both

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • neither

Votes: 8 28.6%
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
White gravy: flour and milk base, sometimes with sausage. Usually made for fried pork or chicken/chicken fried anything.

Classic Red eye: is from fried ham or ham drippings, sometimes has coffee added usually thin.

Every region has there own variations, both are also called country gravy.

I stay at hotels most of the time and love the breakfast buffet sausage gravy on everything. Today I was torn, they had eggs, cheese hash browns with both corned beef hash and sausage gravy. I settled for the corned beef.
I've never made sausage gravy. I'm assuming that made with the grease from the sausage and then mixed with the flour mix?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Not always. My mother, mother-in-law, and my wife never added coffee. Cook the ham and add a little water to what is left in the pan is the way they have all made it. For everyone that had never heard of it, you don't know what you are missing. Pour it over hot biscuits and um,um, GOOD.

White gravy on taters and chicken fried steak. Brown goes on rice.
This is the way.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Liquid coffee or coffee grounds? Any strength? What is the coffee doing for flavor?

Strong brewed coffee. I've been told that's why it's called Red Eye. Strong coffee to wake you up. If some don't use coffee, ok. I'm not a gravy expert by any means.

Az might put ketchup is his for the red component. Flysalot may have more knowledge of this,

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Interesting. Like others, I've never heard of Red Eye gravy . . . ever.

Down here, all I've ever had is white gravy, brown gravy, or roux. But roux is always in something, while gravies are on top of something.

Sauces are an entirely different thing . . . entirely.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've never made sausage gravy. I'm assuming that made with the grease from the sausage and then mixed with the flour mix?

Sausage, meat, grease and all (well meat if you are lucky). Holiday Inn Express gets it in gallon cans and has a crock pot full every morning at most hotels. it's the Sh#* in SOS that the old GI's warned you about.

·
Registered
257 Posts
After a trip down memory lane.... Sausage gravy is great compared to the original SOS My first father in law made dried/salted chipped beef in white gravy served on toast, he came from Norway in the 1920's. Dried meat and fish is an aquired taste for breakfast. LOL anyone wanna talk about Lutefisk?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Strong brewed coffee. I've been told that's why it's called Red Eye. Strong coffee to wake you up. If some don't use coffee, ok. I'm not a gravy expert by any means.

Az might put ketchup is his for the red component. Flysalot may have more knowledge of this,
So instead
of plain water you use room temp coffee? And mix that with your meat drippings?

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
After a trip down memory lane.... Sausage gravy is great compared to the original SOS My first father in law made dried/salted chipped beef in white gravy served on toast, he came from Norway in the 1920's. Dried meat and fish is an aquired taste for breakfast. LOL anyone wanna talk about Lutefisk?
Chipped beef gravy. A horror from my childhood. That's the way my father wanted mom to make it. I could eat it but never did learn to like it.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts