Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this 10/22 a couple of years ago and just started to squirrel hunt with it. It has no sights base model. I put a BX trigger group in,along with a Nikon Monarch 4 power scope. The threaded barrel had a thread protector which I replaced with a M-16 hider and was not getting the groups I wanted.So I lost the original thread protector and decided to make one out of stainless. I hope this helps my groups as I think the flash hider was making my bullets go off.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=284051&stc=1&d=1642394489

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm interested in hearing if your groups improve. I debated getting a threaded barrel for my rifle build. It would be neat to add some sort of muzzle device, maybe a muzzle brake or compensator. In the end, I did not get the threaded barrel. Several people told me that a 22lr doesn't have much, if any recoil and the brakes/compensators aren't needed.

I now regret not getting it threaded. It would have been fun to purchase a suppressor. Now I have to start planning for a new build!

tom

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update, I went to the range and put 100 rounds Winchester 1280fps and at 50yds and had no fliers and could keep a 1” to 1 1/2” group and at 70yo I think that was excellent. So now maybe when I enter the woods the squirrels have something to worry about.

·
Premium Member
10,069 Posts
Yes, imho threaded barrels have that problem. The thread protector or muzzle device can create accuracy issues ,

Put a bit of weak locktight on it, cause if it moves your poi will move too. And thats prolly how the firt on got lost:cool:

Take a picture of the crown, with the thread protector on it , it should be flush and snug, so that no weird air vortex is created by the expelled gas and any spaces or pockets.

By any chance is that a Target Lite Barrel?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

Went squirrel hunting today. And the 10/22 shot superbly,made two shots and excellent head shots. So my thinking is no flash hider is the way to go. Before with the flash hider my shots were all over the squirrels. The barrel is flat has no eleven degree angle cut it is flat.After the season I probably will throw it on the lathe and make the eleven degree angle. But right now I'm super happy. The shots today were between 30 to 40 yards.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=284953&stc=1&d=1642810899

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts