Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking around, I found a used 10/22 at a pawn shop today. It's going for 101.50 with tax. I'd almost take them up on the offer, but the receiver (which is basically the only thing I cared about) is pretty badly scratched up. Functionally, it looks ok -- but it has a million pretty nasty little scratches. Is there any economical way to fix it up? Thanks.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Is it painted or anodized?

A painted receiver could easily be stripped and buffed, then bead blasted and teflon'd.

Anodized... a little more difficult.

Either way, 101 out the door isn't bad.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Sandpaper. It's just aliuminum under the paint. Someone here posted that you could drop the receiver in a container of Chem Dip from Autozone to remove the paint.

You can also try bargaining the guy at the pawn shop down.

·
Registered
854 Posts
xenophobe said:
Is it painted or anodized?

A painted receiver could easily be stripped and buffed, then bead blasted and teflon'd.

Anodized... a little more difficult.

Either way, 101 out the door isn't bad.
Guys,

I did some reading on the subject. It seems that around the early 70's Ruger changed from anodizing the receivers to polymer coating them so IF you can determine when it was made then you can just buy some spray coating from Brownells.com and bake a new finish on. For myself I just use a "Sharpie" pen cuz I'm cheap.

wmrimfire,22

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wmrimfire said:
Guys,

I did some reading on the subject. It seems that around the early 70's Ruger changed from anodizing the receivers to polymer coating them so IF you can determine when it was made then you can just buy some spray coating from Brownells.com and bake a new finish on. For myself I just use a "Sharpie" pen cuz I'm cheap.

wmrimfire,22
Thanks for the help. I'd think it was post-70s, but I don't know for sure. How can I check? As for the spray coating, would that be able to work regardless of the year it was made? I found this on the site and thought it looked promising: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1143&title=AEROSOL+BAKING+LACQUER. Can anyone tell me anything about that stuff..? Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took my oldest 10/22 that was really beat up. Sanded the reciver down (might need to use that reciver on my light weight I am about to compleat). Use Brownell's Matte Black Baking Laquer #083-046-801, several light coats, then bake. So far its done well. Touch ups can be made with EM-NUE (military black matte touch up, like white out but for gear).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lubec said:
I took my oldest 10/22 that was really beat up. Sanded the reciver down (might need to use that reciver on my light weight I am about to compleat). Use Brownell's Matte Black Baking Laquer #083-046-801, several light coats, then bake. So far its done well. Touch ups can be made with EM-NUE (military black matte touch up, like white out but for gear).
Thanks for sharing the experience. I was wondering though; how exactly did you go about sanding down the receiver? This seems like it's probably the best way for me to go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
wpcadet17 said:
Thanks for sharing the experience. I was wondering though; how exactly did you go about sanding down the receiver? This seems like it's probably the best way for me to go.
I had the reciver tap screws in with all parts removed from the reciver (protects the threads). I used a small electric sander (Black and Decker mouse). Using fine sand paper I removed the coating and some metal. I used rubbing alcohole at the end. Then I used a med sand paper by hand to give the "paint" something to hold on to (with another alcohole rub). Painted a few thin coats to get even coverage (must wait between coats and let dry). Then baked in oven per instructions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. In the end though, I decided against the scratched up 101 dollar 10/22 from the pawn shop in favor of a 120 dollar 10/22 from a local gunshop owned by a gunsmith. The rifle looked in very good condition to me, with only one or two minor scratches on the receiver. I'll try posting a picture so you can let me know what you think.

If that worked, maybe someone can give me an opinion on whether I should have stuck with the scratched up 101 dollar 10/22 (virtually the entire receiver was covered in fairly deep little scratches). Perhaps I could have made out cheaper and gotten the same product by working on sanding and painting the 101 dollar 10/22, but the combination of the nicer looking original product and trust in the gunsmith led me to go for the 120 dollar rifle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.