Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed the Ruger rail that came with my new MkIII 22/45 before I took it to the range. Somehow the rail managed to leave two long scratches along the top of the receiver :-(

I will probably leave a rail installed, but I'd like to fix it if possible. Any easy way to fix just these scratches without having to reblue the whole thing? I've seen mentions of sharpies, bluing pens, bluing cream, etc. Anybody know which option most closely matches the dark blue/black factory finish?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have never tried it on the Ruger pistols but the bluing touch up pen has worked great for me in the past. It looked just like a sharpie put out by BC I believe.

A nice qucik fix, even if it does not match perfectly it will look much better than bare metal. Just apply and wipe off.:bthumb:

·
Registered
754 Posts
I use Birchwood Casey Perma Blue. Heat the area up that you want to be blued, take a cotton swab, dip it in the bluing compound and rub it over the spot. Let it sit a few minutes, then wipe it off.

Another thing I do is between applications I take superfine steel wool and lightly rub the area, seems to blend it in a little better.

Keep doing the above and apply as many times as needed to blend in with the factory blue. It works best if you reheat the metal your bluing each time you apply the bluing compound.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I say no to touch-ups.
They rarely go over well--usually a "splotchy" finish. I'd rather have a scratch than a pistol everyone looks at and goesm
"Eww, he should'nt have tried to ******* gunsmith it...the finish looks terrible!"

On a lighter note--cold blued "touch ups" have been a great way for me to dicker the price down on used guns. ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point I'll probably try a bluing pen or sharpie, but i'll test it on the underside of the receiver first so if it looks like crap I won't try it. I'm not that concerned about it because I'll probably end up with a rail installed permanently which would cover the scratches, and at some point I might refinish it in matte black or OD green anyway. I was just hoping for a quick fix :)

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I say no to touch-ups.
They rarely go over well--usually a "splotchy" finish. I'd rather have a scratch than a pistol everyone looks at and goesm
"Eww, he should'nt have tried to ******* gunsmith it...the finish looks terrible!"

On a lighter note--cold blued "touch ups" have been a great way for me to dicker the price down on used guns. ;)
I agree 100%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.