Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old Winchester 130 that I inherited from my grandad thats got a reasonable amount of rust on the barrel (he carried it around on the tractor and never really took care of it). Anyway, what's the best way to make this rifle look normal again? (the barrel anyway...lets not get started on the stock). I know I should sand or wire brush the rust off, but how do I fix the bluing? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to anything remotely related to gunsmithing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If there's only little spots, you can get a cold blueing kit from Brownells. It's only for small spots and won't look great, but it gets the job done. Ifthere's a lot of pitting and rust, bring it in to a good gun smith and have him sand/ hot blue, not cold, but hot blue your barrel. Should cost you around $100.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Rust

Try oooo steelwool that has been soaked with wd40 or another good penetrating oil. Keep rubbing the rusted area with this & change the steel wool frequently
Once you are satisfied that you have removed as much rust as possible,try reblueing. I have had very good results with Brownells Oxypho blue,follow directions on the bottle. This product is available at most gun shops.
Good luck on your restoration. Take your time & remember that the key to a good job is in the metal preparation (lots of elbow grease required).
Rod.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. The rust is appreciable, but I can't justify spending $100 on a gun thats only worth ~$150 in perfect condition (and I guess I should mention that the stock is totally beat-up too). I think I'll try the oxypho-blue. I have no visions of this gun looking perfect, I'd just like to keep it in functional condition.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Understandable if there's some sentimental value, but I'm a college student so I've gotta watch my money. Plus, right now I'm debating between a new CZ 452 or some form of Mauser :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
You could just use the 0000 steel wool and WD40 and at least clean the rust off for now and be done with that part of it. Rub some oil on the metal afterwards so it won't rust again. This way you can put off spending the money now on a re-blue and at the same time keep the rifle preserved as is.
JS:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Isn't there a product called RB17 that is supposed to remove rust? I know a few years ago when when Houston was hit by TS Allison a local new channel did a piece on doing minor repairs to flood damaged firearms and they used this. I've never tried it or know anybody that has so I can't attest to how good it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.