Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

fitting a 77/22 barrel on a 10/22?

679 10
is it posible for me to fit a 77/22 silen select match barrel to my 10/22?

the shilen barrel was given to me as a gift but I dont have disassembled my 10/22 yet.

please help.
John
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
I am not sure, but expect that someone will give you a proper answer. I don't think you can, and if it turns out that way I've got a 10/22 bull barrel I'll swap you or I might be interested in buying it. Let me know.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nope, it won't work. The machine work on the breech end of the barrels is different. You could probably find a gunsmith to make the proper modfications, but gunsmith time is not cheap. Spend your money on a quality after-market barrel. i.e. Green Mountain or Voltquartsen. Good Shooting, AL

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've done it.

I wanted a 24'' barrel on my 10/22 so I put a 77/22 varmint barrel on it. It was necessary to machine a spacer for the barrel shank to make up for the 77s longer one. Another one had to be made for the groove where the barrel clamp goes and the barrel clamp had to be ground. The good news is the gun shot many one hole groups at 50yds but ejecting a unshot round is iffy. I dont think its worth the trouble. I would sell the barrel and get a Green Mountain Running Boar barrel if I were doing it again.

·
Registered
771 Posts
juankmaney said:
THANKS A LOT!

A local gunsmith offers to cut and rechamber the barrel but I guess I´ll be swapping to another barrel.

thanks

John
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Artifex shim is all you need for the longer barrel shank of the 77 barrel.
Do a search here for Artifex, or his web site is here:
http://www.artifex.ws/shootingframe.html
Look under the .17 HORNADY MAGNUM RIMFIRE! on his firearms page, and you link to info on this rifle. It will show you the shims he has made and sells for using the 77 series barrels on a 10/22.
By the way the shim is .1380 thick if you know a machinest.
Go for it the Shilen barrels are sweet. I have a standard blue 10/22 Shilen barrel, that is a shooter at 100 yards with Wolf MT. Go for it:t , Andy :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Something else you need to think about is the chamber in the Shilen barrel. It is possible to fit the 77/22 barrel to the 10/22 as described by Artiflex but it would also need to be rechambered if we are talking about 22LR. The Shilen 77/22 barrel has a very tight "Match" chamber for a bolt action rifle and most likely would not feed in a semi-auto. May not require any more than enlarging the existing chamber with a Benz reamer but I do not think it will work with the Shilen chamber.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Barrel Swap

All-

I just did this swap and I can't emphasize enough how accurate my rifle is now. I took a .22 Magnum barrel from a M77 Ruger .22 Magnum and mated it to my 10/22 Magnum. Spend $25 bucks or so and get a shim kit from Artifex. The M77 chamber is tighter than that of the 10/22, more like a match chamber, and is incredibley accurate. The spacer simply slips over the barrel breech and the shim goes into the dovetailed slot on the underside of the barrel. They are different dimensions than the 10/22 so the shim and spacer are mandatory. Champfer your v-block to a 45º angle where the top fits up against the dovetail so it'll fit. Do this on the end of the block where the bolts go thru.

The 77 barrel has two ejector slots and they are positioned a little differently that the 10/22 barrel ... so you have to cant the barrel ever so slightly. The shim holds it in that position. You'll feel the right fit with your bolt closed. It'll just fit over the 10/22 extractor.

I really consider 1/4" groups at 50 yards totally acceptable for my .22 magnum ... I just use it to hunt with. I was after a little longer barrel that the 10/22 standard 18 1/2" barrel. This one is 20", sporter taper. No sights. It makes the .22 Magnum the greatest walking around rifle I've ever handled. Carries nice, hangs beautifully, points like a laser.

Try it, you'll like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.