Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I welcomed my Anschutz ("Annie" only when I get to know her better) into the house this week from CDNN. After struggling with getting the bolt cocked, I managed to remove the barreled action from the stock and remove the grease. It came fully-assembled, with action screws torqued to 18 inch-pounds.)

Here's a pic:

The stock fits me as if it had been designed with me in mind. This one even has a bit of figure on the butt and around the magazine.

After general clean-up, I adjusted the trigger - it with came 2.5 pounds pull, with some creep. I found some references on RFC, notably Steinie's, and tweaked it down to minimal creep. (Next time I'm there, I'll follow his advice and twist the screw only a quarter-turn after firing-pin-fall; this time I chickened out a turned it a half-turn.)

I then reassembled it, worrying a bit about the magazine release lever, and torqued the action screws to 36 inch-pounds.

My Williams FP Target Sight hasn't arrived yet from Midway, so I put on a scope that normally graces my Thompson-Center Classic, which is currently at T-C. This is a fine quality 4X Weaver rimfire scope, parallax-free at 50 yards, as I planned to do most of my shooting today at that range. Unfortunately, all of the 50 yard ranges at my club were hosting events, so I fired at 100 yards instead.

I tested three types of ammo - Winchester 40g HP, CCI Maxi-Mag, and CCI Maxi-Mag +V. Results? I'll contine to search for ammunition it likes. The +V was actually the best, if a bit frustrating, with three of four shots typically touching (at 100 yards!), while the fourth landed an inch and a half or so away.

These erratic results may well be me (canting, or other), or possibly parallax, but it also could be bedding. Two four-shot groups on the same target, for instance, showed definite tendencies to group in separate locations. I'll order the hex-head action screws next week and take my torque wrench to see what changes I can effect.

Why the receiver sight? This rifle felt so balanced and lively as it came out of the box that I hate to scope it permanently.

By the way, this has all the hallmarks of something that will cost me money. I'm already planning to join the "German Gun Collectors Club" in order to learn which Heym or Merkel I can't live without next.

Jaywalker

· Registered
2,283 Posts
Thats a very nice looking Anschutz...

with the Monte Carlo stock. Shooting at 100 yards is tricky.

It takes experience and work to get the best out of an Anschutz. The 22 rimfire poses special problems with the slow velocity and low ballistic coefficient. Ammo inconsistencies also cause problems. All the ammos you tried are good for hunting, but don't expect bughole groups on a regular basis.

Thanks for posting the picture and enjoy your new rifle.

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Nice. :) Anytime you get shots touching at 100 yards with Rimfire is great in my book. :)

I know what you mean about the German Gun Collect Club. I have 3, well 4 if you count the one Galen is sorta "permanently borrowing", and I still want a nice 1702 so bad I can taste it. :) Must be a sickness... ;)

· Registered
867 Posts
You might try the Remington Premier and the Winchester Supreme too next time around. Both very good rounds in the Anschutz when I tried it. The CCI Gold Dot 50 grn? (Discontinued) was great in my Ruger 22/22mag but not so good in the Anschutz 1720.

· Registered
4,258 Posts
John 300 EXC said:
steinie, have you seen this add?
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976619893.htm
This should be your gun, let us know how it shoots!
Yes I have. That's the one I am trying so hard to avoid. :)

At that price, my heart says buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy, but my brain and pocketbook say "Hold on, you've already got a safe full of rimfires".

Always a contest going on in the subconcious. :) :D :D

· Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
jlp4951,

Yep, today, when no one's looking, I have two tasks: the aforementioned hex screws and, from Midway, "Set me up with one of everything, barkeep," and Premiers are on that list.

Dan S:
It takes experience and work to get the best out of an Anschutz. The 22 rimfire poses special problems with the slow velocity and low ballistic coefficient. Ammo inconsistencies also cause problems. All the ammos you tried are good for hunting, but don't expect bughole groups on a regular basis.
That ought to be on a sticky to help preclude unrealistic expectations.

This rifle actually shows greater promise than I expected, so I was actually pleased, as the 22 Mag velocity cancels out some of the 22 LR problems, while inducing new ones of its own. So far, I'm glad I bought the model I did.

Jaywalker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.