Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my CZ special out to the range today. I have a Simmons 1022T and was shooting over a couple of hand-made sand bags. My first attempt at 25 yards was with the fore-stock on the two sand bags and lifting the the rear to my shoulder. I shot a weak 211 with no X's. I then found a nice oak log, put one bag on it for the front of the gun and used the other bag as a rest for the rear of the rifle. This time I shot a 232, but still no X's. CLaybuster has him a new Cowan rest and I bought his old one. My next attempts will come after I get my "new" rest. I have a long way to go to catch up with some of you guys, but I sure did have fun.
Before I left the range, I took out my other "new" acquisiton, a Thompson Center Patriot blackpowder pistol and fired a few rounds. There was a bit of difference in the noise factor between my CZ and the 45 cal. blackpowder pistol, but both sure were fun to shoot. Thanks for listening and any helpful hints for improving my score will be appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Sailor
Don't get discouraged by your scores on your first attempt. Your scores will get better as you your skill , knowledge and equipment get better.I for one can conferm that many 250s were shot off the rest that you got from Claybuster. We both shoot at the same range and score each others targets. He has cost me money, getting better equipment, after he let me shoot his Anschutz.
Keep having fun shooting
graybeard

:D

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Sailor,
I don't know about your CZ, but my American is really ammo sensitive. I had to go through several brands and lot numbers to find one it really likes. Another thing I found was that the gun has to be held really tight to shoot off bags with any consistency. The action is pillar and glass bedded, which helped the groups also.

As Graybeard said, keep at it and have fun. It will all come together for you.

Gary

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the encouragement and the fact that the rest I am getting has a good pedigree. My next improvement is going to be the spring kit for the CZ trigger. Even with the poor score, I had a great time today. Thanks again.

Mike

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Good shootin Sailor, for the first time out I think you did very well. All of us had to start somewhere, and half the fun is in the practicing to better ourselves.

Naturally everyone wants to shoot a "250", however what the individuals equipment, ammo, and natural ability is a limiting factor. I for one am not going to get caught up in an equipment race of sorts, but rather will shoot to the best of my ability with what I have. If I would have never ever shot a "250" I would be perfectly happy knowing I am shooting to the best of my ability with the equipment I am using. However the improvement is part of the fun, and is a key driving force for many of us. I probably am my worst critic in that I am never satisfied until I am sure I have done my best.

This is a great sport to pass the time and get some good needed recreation. However it is also what you make of it. For me the bottom line is to have FUN, and that I have indeed been doing.

Again, great shooting.

Larry

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Sailor

That's fantastic shooting, especially for the first time out. Do the spring mod from Brookie and I'm sure your scores will go up.

I have the hardest time finding the right way to hold onto my CZ. Some days it takes a firm hold, others just loose, but it always needs some pressure on it.

What I have found works best for me is to have my index finger and thumb touching around the neck of the stock. I let the rest of my hand reach down as far as possible and this seems to be the most consistent.

Good luck shooting it. Test lots of ammo. CCI Mini Mag HP work real well in my CZ, especially since I put a turner in it and then tuned it specifically for this ammo. Other, more expensive ammo does shoot better but I have to save money somehow.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I agree with the other folks above that those are good scores for a first attempt. It wasn't that long ago that I made my first attempt at score shooting. Improvements will come quickly. Keep it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.