Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to all of you gun junkies and NSA members.... :)

Neos 6" INOX with a BSA reddot

I have noticed that in my last 500+ rounds, I have had a hand full of "miss fires". When I squeze the triger, it releases the firing pin, but no dimple on the rim, and no boom. I drop the mag, and lock the slide open, and can see the round in the chamber. I can release the slide and reinstall the mag and shoot as normal. I just shot 350 rounds and had two of these. It could be the brick of ammo that I was using, not sure if the first ones that I had where on this same brick or not. I just finished the brick, so I will know soon enough. I fired some Aquila's also, but didn't have the problem with them (usually only shoot 50 per session). I would think if it was the ammo, it would atlease dimple the rim.

I did replace the spring as part of the trigger job, but didn't do anything with the sear or any other metal parts. I always remove and clean the firing pin after every shooting session.

Any ideas? Can't decide if this is anything to do with the partial trigger job that I did, or if I bought some raty ammo. The problem showed up shortly (after about 500 rounds) after I did the trigger.

any ideas?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hmmmm, make sure the sear spring is not coil binding. If it does, the spring will act like a solid spacer when compressed, and the sear will not fully clear the firing pin hook. This will cause the sear to drag across the bottom of the firing pin, which will kill the forward momentum. Try clipping another coil off the spring, test by pulling the bullet and powder from a case. Chamber primed case and point in safe direction. You can muffle the sound with a rag, they are loud!. If you're using the BIC spring, 1/4" free length should work (the spring will sit atop the small plunger). You want enough spring length to reliably raise the sear to firing pin hook engagement

Keep us posted Tacotrd.

HTH

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure I know how to tell if the sear spring is coil binding or now, but I do understand what you are suggesting. I will be cleaning it here in a few moments, will look at the spring again.
The 1/4" free space that you refrence, I am assuming it is how far above the bottom half of the plunger that the spring extends before you assemble the plunger assy?

I might clip another coil off. If I mess it up, I only have to either put another bic spring in, or put the originial back in. Don't have much to loose.

thanks for the idea, will let you know how I fare.

happy shooting

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The 1/4" free space that you refrence, I am assuming it is how far above the bottom half of the plunger that the spring extends before you assemble the plunger assy?
Just the spring by itself, free length is the uncompressed spring OAL. If the spring is compressed that the coils bind, it becomes a solid spacer. No more room to move, therefore the sear cannot get out of the way. Dunno if this is the real prob, but could very well be.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
38super said:
Just the spring by itself, free length is the uncompressed spring OAL.
Not sure about the over all length of the spring being only 1/4". The originial is about 1" (have not measured it). When I first installed the spring, I cut the bic spring to match the originial. When I disasymbled it during cleaning this afternoon, I measured .4 of the spring protruding above the bottom half (the smaller dia of the two) of the plunger. I trimmed about 3 coils off to .25. I finished cleaning and tested it with 50 rounds at a tin can. Seemed to work ok, but will need more rounds before I can say. Your thougth sure seems logical. I did notice some slight wear on the bottom of the firing pin, wondering if the plunger was not allowing the sear down as you said.

If this dosen't work, I might re-install the originial and shoot for a while, to verify that the problem is spring related.

Not a big deal, but just something that I know is not right. Sure makes me appreciate how much design and R&D goes into a new shooter. Just think if the hundreds of hours that smiths put into making all the parts just the right sizes, tolerances etc.

thanks for the help, if I don't get rained out all week, I will take it out, and put a couple hundred rounds through it, and post again.

happy shooting

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Ah, remember the BIC spring will not fit down the small plunger hole. It will sit atop the small plunger, therefore at least shorten the spring by the length of the small plunger. You can get a very light trigger pull, playing with this spring.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
38super said:
Ah, remember the BIC spring will not fit down the small plunger hole
My bic spring did fit inside the small end of the plunger, but is stuck now. I will have to use pliers to get it out.

Put about 300 rounds through my Neos this afternoon. I had about 3 did didn't fire. One dimpled the round, but the other two didn't show any signs of a hit. I ejected the mag, pulled and released the slide and shot.

I think when I clean it tomorrow, I will put the originial spring back in and see what happens.

Will let you know if the originial spring works better. Sure hate the thought of the trigger pull with the originial back in there.

thanks for the coaching.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Say Tacotrd,

With the slide and barrel off, and firing pin and spring in - slowly pull the trigger and observe the sear release (you'll have to catch the FP). Make sure the sear clears the bottom ofthe FP. If it does not, the BIC spring is coil binding and is not allowing the sear to swing down far enough. If so, trim spring length

HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.