Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10/22 that I have done alot to but I keep having this strange problem.When I shoot certain ammo(wolf and lapua mostly) I get tons of misfires,after inspecting the unfired round it seems to have a very light pin mark that seems to not be far enough into the center of the primer.if I shoot higher velocity ammo such as dynapoints,or mini mags I never get a single misfire and all the primers seem to be struck correctly.I have replaced the firing pin and the little spring that rides under it that didnt seem to work so then I polsihed the firing pin with a dremmel to make sure it wasnt hagning up and that didnt help.I am stumpped,any thought???

Jared

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like the bolt may not be fully closing? The problem ammo probably varies in it's external dimensions in such a way as to hang up along the way to battery. Could also be a headspace problem but that would be extreme. Have you checked the mag spring tension? Also might try an extra power recoil spring.
PS is the chamber clean?

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Light Firing Pin Strikes

Jacack,
I have a 10/22 that I have done alot to, but I keep having this strange problem. When I shoot certain ammo (wolf and lapua mostly) I get tons of misfires, after inspecting the unfired round it seems to have a very light pin mark .....
As Beorn22 has noted in his Post, one of the most common causes for "light firing pin strikes" is the incomplete chambering of the round by the closing bolt; the chambering must be completed by the hammer strike, thus wasting a good portion of its energy on closing the bolt...! ! :eek: :(

You can check for this at the range:
0 Chamber a round from the magazine by cycling the bolt.
0 With the SAFETY "ON", and the rifle pointed down-range, look to see if the bolt is completely closed; jiggle the bolt handle and see if the bolt moves forward.

Causes of incomplete closing of the bolt are:
0 Leaded or dirty chamber.
0 Misaligned extractor to extractor slot in breech.
0 Action "gummed-up" with oil & powder fouling.

Also, check to see if your "Hammer Strut Assembly" is installed 'up-side-down': the 'slot' in the retaining washer should be facing UP. ;)

Hope this helps...! ! :)

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Hammer Strut Assembly

Jacack,

Many who have done "hammer mods" have inadvertently put the "Hammer Strut Assembly" in 'up-side-down', only to find that they now have cycling problems...! ! :(

Upon reinstalling the "Hammer Strut Assembly" 'right-side-up' [slot of retainer UP], the cycling problems have been eliminated. Is it the cause, or was something else changed while they were checking...? ? :confused:

The "chamber leading" and "extractor alignment" are higher on the list of probable causes...! ! :(

Let us know your results...! ! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.