Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Anschutz 54 match in a Stith stock that is bedded and I am having a hard time getting it to shoot consistently. It groups really good when I hold it Juuuuuuust right, and pretty horrible if I grip it just a little different. Is this normal? It is really wierd to have a good hold on the rifle, good sight picture and a good trigger squeeze, and the shot goes 1/4" outside of the group. Help!

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
What type of set up are you shooting with??

We need some more info to help. type of front rest, type of front bag type of rear bad, type of bench your shooting off of.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
put some talcum or baby owder on your bags so the rifle slides consistantly. now try free recoil shooting. only pinch the trigger to fire the rifle. it is what 99% of the bench shooters do. it's what i do.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Second the powder. Some guns like to be held, others don't. Try it all ways to see which is better for you. For those that like/need to be held, try varying amounts of hold. When you find what works, do it the same way every time. Therein lies the rub, it takes a lot of practice to get your hold the same every time.

Good luck,

Ken

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Baby powder or cornstarch on the bags and/or teflon tape on the stock sure can't hurt. And if it will shoot free-recoil (Annie trigger should adjust low enough to) you will probably be better off. No contact at all (other than at the trigger) is more consistent from shot to shot than any contact with the stock.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have better luck with firm (but not killer) downward pressure on the forearm at the front bag with both my 1913's in two different kinds of stocks. It is definitely worth experimenting with different techniques.
gkn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.