Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Finishing my first stock

571 3
I bought a Boyd's stock off of eBay, one of the unfinished ones, which is a Barracuda. There was a fair amount of sanding to do, so I went at it, and for something a little different, I decided to stain it before adding the clear. I went with a red, it is much darker than I originally thought, but I am glad it is, because I think it looks awesome. I added a coat of clear, sanded with scotchbrite and steel wool, and kept on going and I am on my 5th coat. Before the last coat, I sanded with 400 grit and the stock is pretty smooth. I know this sounds like alot of coats, but a couple of times I had to sand a little more than I had planned as some dirt settled in the finish, so I had to take a fair amount off to get it out. I don't plan on this being a showpiece, as I am going to shoot the hell out of this rifle. I went with this stock, for more of comfort, and the thought of the barrell being floated. When I am done with the refinish, is there a type of wax/protector I can apply to help protect the finish? I am very unexperienced at this, so in my mind, I can only picture what you would do for furniture, floors, etc.... I will post pics when I am done, so far I am pretty happy, not a pro job, but I am definitely learning thats for sure. Anyone who has used this stock: where did you mount your bipod, just wondering where the best location on the stock is. Thanks for any and all input :D
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,071 Posts
You didn't say what kind of clear coat you are using. The polyurethane types really don't need any protection but I wipe mine downwith plain ol' Pledge after each use. It cleans and shines them and certainly won't hurt them. In fact I wipe the whole gun with Pledge and this is all I've used for a number of years with no rust. Fingerprints won't rust thru wax like they will with oil. Used to use paste wax but Pledge is so much easier and doesn't leave white residue in the cracks.

Want that finish really smooth and shiny? Rub it down with Clover brand fine valve grinding compound after the final coat and then wax it.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arrowhead, I used Behr Super Spar clear gloss. It is really shiny, I added my final (I hope) coat today. It really gives depth to the color I used, I am pretty happy with it, especially for my first try:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.