Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Finally paid it off!

599 11
Laid away a 9422 back in February, finally plunked down the rest of my cash for it . Seemed like forever, but now its home safely tucked away with my Marlin 60, both my 10/22's and my CZ452.
Now the question is do I save my pennies for a Model 62 Winnie, or do I buy the Taurus copy? Don't get me wrong, I would rather have the Winchester..but a nice original is ~500 or more, the Taurus could be had for half that, and it would be brand new.
The only place I see 62's are on auction websites and call me old fashioned but I would rather handle a rifle before I plunk down the cash. Anyhoo I'm rambling and I need/want a pump 22lr for my growing collection. Any suggestions would be appreciated, it will be awhile before I can purchase either (longer for the Winchester if I can find/afford one.)
Oh, before I sign off, the 9422 shoots nice little cloverleafs at 25yds with PMC Scoremaster and cycles fine as long as I don't pussyfoot around with the lever :1t ;)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Redpath,

The 62s are out there. You just have to know where to look. I picked one up a year and a half ago. They are very nice to shoot. Lots of fun.

Have you ever been to the Antique Gun Show at the Novi Expo Center. I would bet that you could find one there with out any problem. I would drop my business card off at places like On Target or some of the other dealerships and let them know what you are looking for. Just a thought.

Good hunting!

Jay

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Never been to the Novi show, I have been to the Kalamazoo fairgrounds a couple times, always the same people/rifles seems like :confused: I went to the Delta Plex once, but this was before my love affair with 22lr began.
Are there any shops you would reccomend in the G.R. area I can shop with a large variety of .22's? I shop mostly in the Kzoo area and haven't been to any shops other than Bob's in Hastings. Somone told me of one in the Hopkins area, do you know of it?
BTW, I visit On Target weekly (and D&R) I know each of there .22's like the back of my hand ;) They have a neat old J.C Higgens model 31 there but it has a ring in the barrel and I have read they are prone to jamming. Last week I was there and they had a Winchester 22 mag XTR sitting there, so I picked it up and was wondering whether the wife would shoot me with it if I bought it... :1t and I noticed a couple of bulges in the barrel. On closer inspection I could not even see down the bore, so I brought it to an employee and he inspected it, said that he had bought the rifle but never inspected the bore. Needless to say he was happy that I had brought it to his attention and a little embarrassed and worried about what his boss would say :eek: Too bad, I don't own any 22 mags..yet. :D

Thanks, Jay

Terry

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Run back and talk to that same clerk. He might sell it to you for what the shop has in it. Take a cleaning rod and a clean patch. If the bulges don't jam the magazine tube, and are at least an inch below the muzzle, then accuracy and velocity shouldn't suffer a bit.

You might have a really neat, cheap shooter just waiting to go home with you.

Just a suggestion: get a good price offered before you try to run a patch through it. If the barrel's jammed, then dicker some more.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Congrats on the new Winchester 94/22. I know how you feel about waiting for a Win 62 or the Taurus copy. I bought the Taurus because it was easy to find and like you said "half the price". The Taurus is a great little rifle and if I find a Win 62 that is in good condition it will join in with the rest of the crowd.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Redpath,

I hit the Gander Mountain stores up here at the minimum 3 per month. I always hit the used gun racks first. Gander Mountain stores move a lot of guns and consequently they take in a lot of guns on trade. I would be in On Target and D&R as often as you schedule allows. The "good" guns don't last on the racks for long, you know what I mean.

If you have not been to Novi you need to experience it once. Expecially if you like antique firearms. It's not like going to the gun shows at the Delta Plex or the Armory. The Novi show has nice and I mean nice stuff. If you want a nice Winchester slide save your cash, you have time and go to the show, shown here....

http://www.noviexpo.com/detail.php?EventID=63

Trust me you won't be sorry. I promise.

Jay

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DEPUTY450 said:
Trust me you won't be sorry. I promise.

Jay
I'll mark it on the calender. :t

fflincher- I thought about buying it off them, he said they got burned for $150. I figure it would be at least another 100 for a barrel (it had 3 distinct bulges) and then smithing and I would be into the area for one without any problems. Kinda makes me wonder though, when it went bang the first time....and nothing came out, and then bang the second time....and nothing came out, and then bang the third time... :confused: ....and nothing came out :rolleyes:

AK- Thanks, I carried it today while "hunting" for morels . I must have put 6 or 7 miles on the old dogs and the 9422 never got cumbersome to carry. Some guys like the 39's because they have sling mounts, but I don't think I need one for the Winchester.
My bull barrelled 10/22's, on the other hand (pardon the pun), they get carried to the truck and to the bench and back home... ;)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Redpath,

How did you do Morel hunting? My wife and I had dinner on Sunday at my Mom and Dads. Dad had half a Meijer bag of them. They were great.

I have a 9422 Trapper that is so light to carry that I probally would never need to sling. I like them I wish that Winchester would keep up the production.

Jay

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found 1 morel...:( , and it was little. My excuses include, not enough rain, too cold at night, too many people hunting them nowadays. Thats what I told my wife anyhow after being in the woods for 6-7hours and only finding one 'shroom. Did see a hen and about 10 or 12 chicks, would have made a nice meal with a pan full of shrooms. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Redpath, if it was me I would wait and buy the Winchester. One will pop up. If all you want is a gun to throw in the truck and plink with, get the Taurus. Maybe. Even then I think I would hold out for a well used 61 or 62 before buying the fake one.

course, that's just me.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Congrats,its nice to get anything out of layaway-especially a gun. I recommend the Win 62 for a possesion,the Tarus for use and carrying around. Now the 61 someone mentioned-now that is agun! IMHO,the best 22 ever made.It isn't as accurate as bolt,but aside from the hard triggers they all have,there isn't a better Gun. You have to decide if you want to really have a shooter or collector,if the former,go Taurus all the way. Get the 62 Taurus first,the 63 may be alittle disgusting at first-kinda like a thompson classic,has to be shipped back to mfg a couple of times ha ah BUT then, its worth it. JHMO Paul W

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, methinks I'll wait and see whats at the show this fall. Gives me plenty of time to dream on it. (and squirrel away some coin) I think I would treat the Taurus like a redheaded stepchild (no offense reds ;) )and the Winchester would be a favorite son...Thanks for helping me make up my mind. :t

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.