Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought back on the 2nd of this month. A T/C with a .22lr match 10" Bbl. and 2.5x7 T/C scope. Due to my 76 Y/O Mothers' poor health, I haven't had a chance to get to the range till yestereday. Got it sighted in very quickly and then spent some time getting used to it on the 25 yard range off a sandbag rest. Man, does that thing shoot. It soon got boreing shooting small groups at 25 yards, so I set the targets out to 100 yards. A brief digress, I'm a semi auto shooter and it took some getting used to a single shot and a new trigger with no adjustments or tuneing. Not withstanding, I was getting 5 round groups at 100 yards of 2-3". Average for 5 five round groups was 2.34". I'm very impressed with this pistol and now searching for additional Bbls. I've narrowed the list to a .22 Hornet, vs .221 Remington, 7mm TC/U vs .30 Herrett. Can't wait till I can visit another range in the area that hosts Silhouette matches. Glad to be a new member of the T/C fan club. Thanks to those who advised me in earlier posts regarding my T/C. Brad

·
Registered
157 Posts
Glad you're enjoying your t/c. They are great shooters. I have a 7tcu in 10" and it shoots great. Don't have the other barrels you mentioned, but know several people with 22 hornet and all are happy. :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Handgunner...

I'm very pleased with the T/C. Forgive my ignorance, but am I correct in that the 7 tcu is formed from a .223 case? Any problems in forming the case and would you recomend it for Hog hunting on smaller animals say no larger that 150 pounds in weight? Still trying to decide the best bbl. to purchase. Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Re: Thanks Handgunner...

fladiverbrad said:
I'm very pleased with the T/C. Forgive my ignorance, but am I correct in that the 7 tcu is formed from a .223 case?
According to my Hornady manual the 7mm TCU is indeed formed from .223 Rem brass. "Cases are formed from the .223 Remington , using standard 7mm TCU dies and a tapered neck expander. After neck expansion ,a starting load is used to fire form the new case."

The TC can be addicting! I've owned my TC longer than any other gun I have owned. I am now contemplating a 22 mag barrel to go along with my two 22 match barrels and my 357 mag barrel. I also have a Bullberry 357 match barrel on order!

If you want a barrel capable of easy sub one inch 100 yard groups the .223 Super 14 is worth a look. I had one and with a 7X Burris it would outshoot some rifles at 100 yards. I know it is not on your list but it was easily the most accurate of the barrels I have owned. I usually loaded match Sierra , Hornady or Berger bullets for the most accurate results in the .223.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Really glad you finally got to shoot the Contender. They are truly amazing Handguns, and super addictive. I have not had too much experience with the Cartridges you are considering, but do have considerable experience with the .223 (both 10" & 14" Barrels), the 6mm-223 (14" & 15" Custom Barrels), the 6mm T/CU (15" Custom Barrel), the .250 Savage (2 different 14" Custom Barrels), the 7-30 Waters (10" Barrel), the .30-30 Winchester (Both 10" & 14" Barrels, and the .44 Remington Magnum (10" Barrel). In addition I am about to start working with a 14" .30-30 Ackley Improved.

The .223 Remington in a Super 14 Contender has to be one of my favorites. A close second would be one of the 6mm's. The 7-30 Waters in the 10" Barrel was a real surprise. It was a pleasure to shoot, easy to load for, handled like a dream, and was super accurate. I managed to take 3 Whitetails at varied ranges with that 10" 7-30 Waters. All were one shot kills, and bullet performance was excellent (except when I stretched the range farther than I should have, but I got lucky).

Enjoy the Contender, but be prepaired to save up for additional barrels. They are like Lays Potato Chips, you can't have just ONE.

Larry

·
Registered
157 Posts
452 nailed it for you on the case forming. I'll also agree with him on the .223. I've got one in 14" with a 6 power scope. Flat outshoots a lot of my rifles. Have good luck with Sierra 55gr hollowpoints. However the 55gr. Nosler Ballistic tip really shines in this one. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING MANY DIFFERENT CONTENDER BARRELS OVER THE YEARS, AND WOULD ADD ONE POINT. THE TCU/ FAMILY IS "VERY EASY" TO FORM AND LOAD. THE .30 HERRETT IS A DIFFERENT BEAST. THE CASES ARE TIME-CONSUMING AND DIFFICULT TO MAKE. AT LEAST TO THE POINT OF GETTING REALLY GOOD GROUPS. INSIDE NECK REAMING IS NEEDED (OR OUTSIDE
NECK TURNING) BECAUSE THE BRASS WILL BE TOO THICK AT THE NECK. I SPENT A SMALL FORTUNE DEVELOPING A LOAD THAT WOULD SHOOT TO MY TASTE. EVEN THOUGH MOST LOADING MANUALS RECOMMEND 110 OR 125 GRAIN BULLETS, THE GROUPS DIDN'T REALLY SHRINK UNTILL I WENT TO HORNADY 150 SP AND
H322 POWDER. I HAVE FIRED MANY 1" FIVE SHOT GROUPS WITH THIS COMBINATION AT 100 YDS (STOCK TC 10" BARREL 10X SCOPE) BUT IT WAS A LOT OF WORK TO MAKE BRASS CASES CONSISTANT ENOUGH TO SHOOT LIKE THAT. FOR A ROOKIE WANTING TO LEARN FORMING WILDCATS...I WOULD RECOMMEND THE TCU/ FAMILY, (I HAVE A 6MM TCU ON ORDER FROM VIRGIN VALLEY RIGHT NOW), UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF WILDCAT EXPERIENCE , OR WOULD REALLY LIKE A CHALLENGE.
THE .30 HERRETT IS A VERY GOOD 30 CAL HANDGUN ROUND . I THINK IT IS WORTH THE EFFORT. BUT DON'T EXPECT FORMED CASES TO JUST FALL OUT OF THE FORMING DIE WITH EACH PUSH OF THE HANDLE>>>>>>>>GOOD LUCK AND GOOD SHOOTING >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
:)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RE: Additional T/C Bbls...

My Thanks to all for your input. It seems that I have much to learn and ponder. Guess I'll do some more research and then decide on my next Bbl.(s). This could be a real problem, more toys than I know what to do with. Thanks again, Brad

·
Registered
157 Posts
Re: RE: Additional T/C Bbls...

This could be a real problem, more toys than I know what to do with. Thanks again, Brad [/B][/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good problem to have. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
fladiverbrad

You make reference to adding Barrels to your Contender, and asked questions about several different cartridges.

I have been thinking about what you asked, and all of a sudden a question surfaced in my mind (scary thought I know). What are you considering for LENGTH on the barrels you add to your collection ?

This could be a very important consideration in choosing the RIGHT cartridge. Some cartridges just plain work better in a Super 14 Barrel than they do in a 10" Bull Barrel.

Case in point, I have had several different 10" Bull Barrels in .223 Remington, and have never been really happy with their performance. Yes I have managed to come up with a couple different loads that performed to my satisfaction for these 10" .223's, but it took so searching to find loads that didn't exhibit too much muzzle blast & flash in these short barrels. For the most part it is much easier to come up with GOOD loads for the Super 14" version. Loads that are normally great loads in a Super 14 Contender in this chambering produce sub par velocity and accuracy in the 10" Barrels and also produce much, much more Muzzle Blast & Recoil.

These are just some things to consider.

While I have never loaded for a .30 Herrett, I have loaded for both a 7mm T/CU and currently a 6mm T/CU. YES the T/CU series of cartridges are super easy to load for, and fireform. In the case of my current 6mm T/CU I am getting super accuracy from my fireform loads, and more velocity than I expected. My chamber is on the tight side, so in reality my fireform loads are actually a crush fit to the chamber, thus the reason I believe I am getting the great accuracy I am getting from these loads.

Larry

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RE; BBL. LENGTH...

Larry, I'm comfortable with a 10" Bbl. and probably will go with that length. After reading the posts in reply to my inquiry, (and thanks to all that responded), I've decided to go with the 7mm TC/U Bbl. The only loading info at my disposal is a 1982 vintage Hornady loading manual that gives info for the 7X45 Ingram, said to be the same for the TC/C loads. Might be time for a new book. Thanks for everyone's step by step help with my new toy. Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I think the 7mm T/CU is an excellent choice in a 10" Barrel. I worked with a 10" 7-30 Waters, and while I liked it, it was quite accurate, and I had the good fortune of taking 3 Whitetails with it, I was burning a lot more powder than I would have had to, to get the same performance than I could have obtained with a 10" 7mm T/CU.

In fact I am about to start working up a load for a buddies 10" 7mm T/CU Contender once the weather warms up some. I am going to be loading 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and using H-322 Powder (these are the components he brought me with the Contender to work with).

Good luck

Larry

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would say get the 7mmTCU in a super 14 inch bold barrel. I do like mine.
You might want to look into a super 14 inch 35 rem barrel. Some say the kick on it is really bad, nothing. If you do get the 35 rem, start off with 150 gr. bullets and make sure you have one some hearing protection. What a cannon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.