Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And it took three weeks to get here, bought at auction

.22 Long Rifle, 80% blue, good barrel bore and markings all clear
Down side is a missing escutceon and screw on the fore arm and a slight lossness due to wear both in the bolt lock up and the take down tongue
Fore arm is very rough and worn while the butt is probably a 06 replacemant as it is flat shot gun type, not the cresent type I like so much
Took it for a test firing really just to see how it functioned and leaning against the barn it put 10 into 2 inches at 40 yards
Serial no. 240099 gives 1905 date but the barrel has 1911 patent date so I presume that is a replacement, it has the Winchester proof mark and a P in a circle
I think I will replace the wood as I have spares, order new screws etc and maybe braze some more metal on the take down tongue to stop that lossness ( someone has already tried ) but maybe some more would do the trick
Over all well pleased for under $200
Ray

·
Registered
607 Posts
A bargain in almost any condition

Hi RayfromNZ,

The .22 Long Rifle chambering in the Model 90 did not come about until 1919, so your barrel has definitely been changed from the original. At that same year the model designation was changed from 1890 to 90. Further proof is the P within an oval stamped on the barrel, which means the barrel was replaced by a local gunsmith, not at the Winchester factory. When replacing the forend wood, check out the stampings on the bottom barrel flat. The year of manufacture could be stamped there, close to the receiver. I have a Model 90 in .22 Long that has the same receiver/trigger guard lockup looseness that your gun has at the forward tongue on the trigger guard. I haven't decided what, if anything, to do about it yet. Most fellows I show it to say its not enough to worry about. I don't know....I like a nice tight lockup. I would be willing to bet that your gun will feed and fire shorts, longs and long rifles, unless the cartridge carrier is specifically stamped LR on its side. Check it out. You wouldn't happen to have any spare Lyman tang sights laying around, would you? :)

Hossfeathers

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M 90

Yes you are correct Hossfeathers

The cartridge carrier is the same as an 06 one
So not really a Model 90 then, well the reciever is but not much else
Interestingly when I fitted a M 06 back end (trigger, butt half of the take down) to the reciever it fitted as snug as a bug, so I now know where the wear is, on the tongue not the socket

No we don't see many tang sights down here although when I go to the gunshop that has a box of pump fore ends I will check as this one rifle that shots well enough to wear a good sight
Ray

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
tang sights

H.F.-best place I've found for Lyman (and Marble's) tang sights is ebay. In the last year I've gotten period and model-correct Lyman and Marble's tang sights for two 1890's, three 06's, and two 1885's on "the bay". Cheapest was a little over $100, most expensive $225 for a mint Marble's. Bought seven, probably bid on fifty, but darned if they don't look good and just make shooting more fun. -Asa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.