Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted last month in the "Winnie Pictures Only" my only two Winchesters), a 61 and 94-22.
I have been looking for quite a while for a 62A and I really wanted one that was made in my birth year, well I finally found one and pulled the trigger. It was made in 1941 (oops about to tell my age :).
Here they are!

Attachments

·
5,865 Posts
Very nice! :bthumb:

I have the 61 & 9422. I've wanted a 62A to go with them for quite awhile.

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
Nice gun! :bthumb:

Out of curiosity, how many screws are in the bottom tang? And is it tapped on the top tang for a tang sight. I'm thinking your gun was made during a period when Winchester was transitioning from the 62 to the 62A. The 62 had a flat hammer spring as did the 1890 and 1906, but the 62A had a coiled spring. The 62A also did away with the top tang hole for a tang sight. But, some of the 62A guns made during the transition period retained the flat hammer spring (as identified by four screw holes in the bottom tang) and/or the screw hole for the tang sight.

There were some other changes among which was the size of the fore end stock.

James

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bottom tang only has one hole where the tang screw threads into from the top tang.
The top tang has two holes, the front one is smaller than the back one. I don't know if the front one is for a tang sight or what. I'm pretty sure this one has the coil hammer spring.

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
The bottom tang only has one hole where the tang screw threads into from the top tang.
The top tang has two holes, the front one is smaller than the back one. I don't know if the front one is for a tang sight or what. I'm pretty sure this one has the coil hammer spring.
Yes, one screw on bottom tang = coil spring. The extra front hole on top is for the front screw on a tang sight.

Is your hammer checkered or serrated? They were checkered up into WWII then changed over to a serrated hammer.

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
The hammer is checkered.
What tang sight would be proper for this gun should I decide to put one on it?
Lyman WS or Marbles W9.

So, your gun has the 62A coiled spring and the 62 hammer and receiver tang tapped for a tang sight. Not unusual for a transition gun made in the war years. The same tang sight that fits the 62 also fits the Model 1890 and 1906 Winchesters.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Pump, I would really like to know the month this rifle was made in. Serial# 133855 shows 1941. If anyone has Ned Schwin's book I understand it has the month of mfg. also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts