Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Final Silhouette Match

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  IHMSA80x80 
#1 · (Edited)
After a short practice day on Saturday, we had our final silhouette match of the season on Sunday. Lots of shooters there when I arrived. Our normal club contingent, then a bunch of shooters from Ohio, Indiana and Lexington. Our air compressor died just after setting the range up, so the match directors told everyone we would need some help resetting the targets after every 5-shot bank, and coordinating the shooting so as many of the tables could be filled at the same time.

I volunteered to give up my shooting and help set targets. A lot of those guys came from a long way off to shoot. They shouldn't have to set their own targets. It was enjoyable watching all the shooting going on, soaking in the beautiful day. Initially, we just walked out to the targets to reset them, until the Big Bore guys got to the 150 meter turkeys and beyond, then we drove our vehicles downrange to expedite the process. After one of the breaks, I told the match director that these were truly auto-reset targets...we get in our autos, drive down and reset the targets.

Another club member brought a smaller air compressor, so after a couple hours, we were back to normal ops. As usual, I started with the .22
Unlimited Scoped gun.

Using Eley Club today, the 5 sighters were fine, no adjustments necessary for the wind. 40 rounds later, all the targets were down. Didn't do the shootoffs, as I wanted to get more guns in. My eyes seemed to be doing good, so I went to the iron sight Big Bore gun, the same 7BR I used in practice the day before.

Had to wait a few relays to get on the firing line, and spent the time spotting for a couple of other shooters. Finally, my turn on the sighters came up. The turkey was buried in the shadows, and both my sighter shots were top of the back...have to watch that when the time comes, maybe it was because the target was hard to see and I held up into it. Rams were both in the center, with a slightly lower hold from the previous day. All the rams I shot then were high, not one below center. Have to watch that also.

The targets hadn't been repainted in awhile so there were multiple marks on them. Shooting without a spotter as I always do, it would do no good to look at them in the spotting scope after the first bank. Being careful of my holding point, all 10 fell, but I had no clue where they were hit. On to the rams. Again being careful to hold a tad low, the first 5 fell without a problem. Same hold on the second bank, especially on the second bank...didn't want to miss the last target. Another 40x40. A few of the 200 meter shootoffs were left from another shooter, and I decided to finish them off just for fun. 6 out of 7, missed a half-scale turkey, but got both half-scale chickens, which always seem to be left standing by the other shooters using scopes. Here's the shootoffs just in front of the rams. Normally we have 10 of them, 2 full-size chickens and the rest are half-scale.

The day was getting late and I didn't have time for anymore entries, so I spotted for a couple shooters as they finished. The last match of the year was a great day, perfect weather, good friends, shooting guns. It was sad leaving the range for the 30-mile trip home.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was reading Dean's post, dated 10-27-2014, and I saw 3 missing photos.

I restored the first 2 photos and I'm pretty sure that one of the last 2 is the correct one.

I plan to restore Dean's photos, as I read his posts.

Sadly, Dean passed away at 68 from Lymphoma cancer.

He'll be deeply and greatly missed, especially by me.

Marilyn [Dean's Loving Wife]

:F

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.