Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I've been using a Bell & Carlson thumbhole anschutz for a few years now and have had zero problem in this respect and that is including hot Texas summers (100°F+) to shooting in Kansas (40°F) in the early spring.

Dave Z.

·
36,633 Posts
It not a rimfire but I think it still answers the question. I put a Mod 700 ADL in .243 in a very early Brown Precision stock in 1977. In 1980 I sighted it in with it's hunting load and loaded several hundred of that load. I have about 30 of those left. 2 years ago that rifle was STILL sighted in when shot with 10 rounds of that ammo. So what is that? It has held zero for at least 23 years. I mean to the 1/4". This load is an honest .5"@100 load using a Sierra 100gr Boat Tail, Fed case, Fed 210 Match primer and a near max load of Win 760 Ball powder. And it just hasn't moved (I shoot it every couple years).

If you REALLY want to get picky, EVERY object expands with heat and shrinks with lack of heat. The Fiberglass and the Epoxy that make the skin of the stock are not hydroscopic so moiture has little or no effect. That said, what ever expansion and contraction that take place are so minute as to not change POI.

The above is NOT true with plastic stocks. Injection molded stocks not only expand and contract with heat changes but they also stress relieve and basically restress with heat changes. Injection molding leaves flow patterns and the stock will twist and move around these stress/flow patterns. Thats why I call them "tuperware" stocks. I spent 27 years in injection molding an there are good things about it (it cheap if you are making thousands of them) and there are things it is not so good at. Stability can be one of those that it is not good at. In some stocks and gun cases the plastic either has glass fibers added to the blend or they can be a solid/HEAVY foam when a blowing agent is added. They are not Hydroscopic.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Vincent,

Great explaination! I was just saying with mine POI didn't change from summer to winter. I haven't heard mention of a Brown Precision stock in ages! Once again great post.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
evillikekenivle said:
i was wondering because i have a Anschutz thumbhole on my 10/22 and with the heat and humitity of south La i was wondering if it did like wood.
As Vincent said, all materials are effected by temp & humidity its just how much. Wood will change more than the composites materials used in B&C stocks by a large margin. Once again we get 100°F+ with high humidity too and my B&C has yet to have any problem.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have two Bell and Carlson stocks and haven't noticed a change from the elements. I don't know what they are made of but it would really be a stretch to call it fiberglass. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think they are moulded from some sort of foam, hair and who knows what else mix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.