Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big Mike

A couple of things look encouraging on First Round Flyers. Since my last post my Boyds Blaster has arriver and my son and I have incorporated all of the proposed mods noted in my first post including staking the firing pin. We did this on both of our guns. Then we finally got to the range. Both of our barrels are fairly new but ready for some good ammo. First we shot the Federal Bulk Pack stuff. My fliers were still high left but not as severe and occurerd less than 50% of the time. My sons fliers went from high to low, less severe than mine and less frequent. So there was some improvement. Still didn't group well.

Then- we shot Wolf MT, Eley Standard and Winchester Supreme. The fliers basically dissappeared for both of us and we also got our first 10 shot .5" groups at 50 yards. Both of our guns liked the Wolf MT and Eley Standard about equally well with the Winchester coming in third. The major noticable difference between these two and the bulk pack stuff was the lube on the Wolf and Eley. The Eley in particular was almost greasy and the Wolf only a little less so. It appears that the lube was a factor in getting that first round settled in the chamber. Now I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and also what Eley uses for a lube.

Thanks for your input

· Registered
747 Posts
Lube

sawdust

It ismy experence that the bullets with more lube shoot more
consistant than those with very little lube. You also need a good bed of lube in the bore to season it.

Also if you change brands of ammo you need to shoot several round of the new ammo to change over the lube before it will
start to shoot again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.