Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Feeding tube lip on Marlin Golden 39A?

372 8
Hi,

If you have a Marlin Golden 39A would you look at the pic below and then kindly check the lip on your feeding tube and see if it is somewhat out of kilter? By this I mean not ciruclar all the way around.

Mine is bent out a bit and I wonder if this was how it was made or if I need to press it back in. I've been wondering about this for a long time. It has never presented a problem.

Thanks.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
I always bend mine in a bit so it will hold the mag tune better. They can bend out pretty easy and I would say that yours has moved some and need to be pushed in just a tad. It helps to keep the mag tube from falling out if you bend that tab in. :bthumb:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always bend mine in a bit so it will hold the mag tune better. They can bend out pretty easy and I would say that yours has moved some and need to be pushed in just a tad. It helps to keep the mag tube from falling out if you bend that tab in. :bthumb:
Thanks, I figured it was a little out of whack but I wanted to be sure! I put the plunger back in and carefully pressed it back into "round."Looks perfect now.

I own more than a few rifles, and I don't know about you, but this old (1964) Golden 39A is my absolute favorite.

It's one of those "magic" (to me anyway) firearms that just fits me perfectly and is supremely, and I mean supremely accurate for me. The gun gods were watching when this one was put together.

In all my years of shooting I have saved only one target. It was 10 shots with CCI Green Tag at 50 yds. It was a day at the range I'll never forget. The 39A and I were both "in the zone" as they say nowadays.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
WoW, in the zone alright. What a rifle. Not too bad of an operator either to put that group together, some of the best 50 yard lever work I've ever seen. Glad you shared.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
WoW, in the zone alright. What a rifle. Not too bad of an operator either to put that group together, some of the best 50 yard lever work I've ever seen. Glad you shared.
22AGS,

It was one of those great days. After the first two shots I REALLY took my time between shots. I just had that good feeling, know what I mean?

No matter how well I hold or how good my breath control is, I can always see the end of my barrel going in a tiny clockwise circle. Sometimes it's a perfect circle and sometimes it ain't.

On this particular day, the "barrel circles" were concentric, perfectly round. I know that 39A's trigger like a book. So just as the barrel was a hair off of coming right back up to 12 o'clock, I'd finish the squeeze and all those shots were let off **** close to exactly high noon. it was all in the timing.

I showed the target to my wife when I got home. What she knows about firearms and shooting she has learned from me. She is by no means an enthusiast, however, and only uses profanity on very rare occasion.

She looked at the target and said, "Holy sh!t! 50 yards? Save that one because you might never do that again." And she was right. I've never been able to better that target and I don't think I ever will.

I've read some of your posts and I can tell you're a shooter, and a good one. So you've probably had days when you shot way over your head, right? Ain't they great?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I slipped a small o-ring over the mag at the follower end and up past the lock pin, the o-ring compresses and locks the mag up nicely.

pipestone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.