Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Federal Gold Medal .22 Ammo

712 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Jon Turner
Does anyone have experience with this ammunition? I see Midway is soon going to be carrying it @$2.29 a box. They have a pic of one on their web-site, it's got a dimple in the base. Any good? Zack
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
286 Posts
The Gold Medal Match (900) shoots very well in my BRNO #1 and #4. The bad news is that they no longer make it. I haven't tried the cheaper stuff yet. Eley Trainer at $18 a brick shoots well in some of my guns also.

· Registered
3,500 Posts
I'm guess your refering to Federal 711B, Gold Medal 22lr. My gun likes the stuff pretty good but the Wolf MT so far has out performed the 711B. Haven't tried out the 911 or 911B yet and more than likely won't at the 10 bucks plus a box of 50. Me likes the cheap ammo, give Wolf MT a try!

Dave Z.

· Registered
1,920 Posts
Some of the early UM1 Federal was some of the best ammo I ever fired--bar none, in most of my rifles. I've also had very good luck with the 900-A or Federal Match with the dimpled cases. I bought a case of lot# 689 last week--of the 900-A. It had the lot # stamped on the end flaps of the boxes. Personally, I have never thought much of the Federal Gold Medal Target and I'd put it in about the same class as Winchester T-22 in my rifles--it's ok but not up to the UM1000 or the 900 Match IMO. I have seen some of the new UM1 in a store and the lot# was on a sticker over where the lot # used to be stamped. I've been told that this ammo is mixed lots and to steer away from it, so I have. I've never shot any of the subsonic "B" Fedearal but I hope to have a few bricks on the way as soon as it can be shipped. I like the stuff so I've been stocking up since the aren't going to make it any more:D

· Registered
615 Posts
Federal has announced that they will no longer make any of the Gold Medal line except 711b. 711b is ok, though not match quality, and it has never shot as well as Eley Trainer or Wolf MT in any of my rifles. Good luck.

· Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forester said:
711b is ok, though not match quality, and it has never shot as well as Eley Trainer or Wolf MT in any of my rifles. Good luck. [/B]
Ok. I'd not shot it in the past and thought I'd ask. The price looked attractive. Recon I'll just stay with what I've got. Thanks all. Zack.

· Registered
44 Posts
Don't waste your hard-earned money on the Federal ammo anymore. They are mixing lots at the factory just to get rid of it. Their thinking is "It all shoots the same". But we all know better. Stick with the Eley or Eley/Remington (it's really made by Eley for Rem) or the Wolf. My personal favorite is the Wolf when I can find it.

Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.