Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a case of 711B and when I opened the first brick I found no dimple in the base. Would this indicate that it is old stock? It seems to shoot well in my HS Sharpshooter. I paid $218.00 for the case including shipping and CT sales tax.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Bigjets, I also noticed the new Federal 711B was minus the dimple. It appears Alliant (owners of the former Hercules powder Co) have purchased the recreational firearms division of Blount.
This includes the two former Blount owned cartridge manufacturers CCI & Federal.
It would appear that the new owners of these two companies are now attempting to consolidate the product & possibly production.
I don't know what the outcome will be but I strongly suspect that the product now in Federal packages may be CCI production

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I forgot to mention that I don't think that this move by Alliant will result in the product being inferior to the original. I have tried the new stuff & it seems fine. Not that it compares to the old 711 match target which I have been told by a gun shop in my area is now "unavailable". Bear in mind I can only speak for my area in Canada. May be different in USA.
Time will tell; but I try & think positive about this situation as both CCI & Federal have a long history of producing good ammunition.
I hope Alliant will respect this tradition & continue to offer a good product at reasonable prices :) Rod

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
711B

Thank You Gents,
Before I bought this case I tried a brick. The brick was marked 711B and it had the dimple. I did however have two missfires in a relay match. Both during rapid fire stage. The first 5 shots I managed to get 2 down range and the 3rd was a missfire. The alibi was allowed and it was to be shot after the stage was over. The next 5 shots I had a missfire on the first round. Only one alibi is allowed so I chose to shoot the second 5 shot alibi. That target only had 7 holes. Bummer!
I have shot 3 boxes from the new case and no missfires as yet. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First Brick

Well Folks,
I have gone through the first brick and had only one misfire. There seems to be an occasional flyer. I would say maybe one per 50 round box. I could blame it on the 'nut behind the wheel'. When I put the HS 'Sharpshooter' on the bench stand I score 98 to 99 out of 100 so it appears that the gun shoots much better that I do. I have a UltraDot scope with a 4 moa dot. At 50 ft. the dot is .67 in in diameter. That will cover the entire 10 ring on a B2 NRA target. A tiny bit of movement and there goes the group!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have called Federal about this....

I have been told that they are no longer making the 711B with the dimpled case (it is a shame as my rifle REALLY loved that stuff). I am keeping my eyes out for bricks of the older stuff at gun shows though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,

I'm not a competitive shooter, just a plinker. But, I like good ammo to try and shoot small groups.

So, I tried a bunch and found my rifle likes the 711B. Hence, a large order of it from an internet dealer.

When I recieved it, some was the dimpled stuff my rifle liked, and some was sans dimple.

The rifle shoots both the same level of accuracy. Problem is, I get around a 10% misfire rate with the new flat based stuff. This is just enough to make shooting a chore instead of fun. I have a lot of this stuff and it fails in my 10/22, my Mark II, and a friends 10/22. It isn't the firearm - it IS the ammo.

The dealer who sold me the ammo said he had no other complaints on it. Guess he doesn't want to replace it or refund. Pity. I need to order a lot of .223 for my new M16. Guess I'll look elsewhere for that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have found that the dimpled 711 has flyers because of rounds that are overpowered.

Most cheaper ammo has problems with weak rounds but 711 has rounds with overcharges mixed in.

I did have a few bricks about 5 years ago that was very good but since them I have had nothing but problems.

I am hoping this new production lots would be better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.