Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Feddersen barrel in factory stock

7183 Views 30 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  MannlicherFan
All this talk about how accurate these feddersen barrels are is making me want one lol. So will their spotter barrels fit the stock carbine stock? I want to keep this gun factory looking and it is my hunting/plunking gun so I don't want to add too much weight. Was looking at the 16.25 contoured barrel.
Thanks
All this talk about how accurate these feddersen barrels are is making me want one lol. So will their spotter barrels fit the stock carbine stock? I want to keep this gun factory looking and it is my hunting/plunking gun so I don't want to add too much weight. Was looking at the 16.25 contoured barrel.
Thanks
See more
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
334 Posts
I have two of the Feddersen 16.25" barrels in COMPACT stock 10/22's. These are the smaller stocks, and have no barrel band. They seem to be perfectly proportioned in the smaller stocks. Guns seem to shoot fine. I just free floated the barrels with some sanding, added BX triggers, and am going to install CPC modded bolts later today. Guns are topped with Bushnell 4.5-14x44 scopes on Vortex low mounts.

Picture added. One for the son, and one for the daughter. You can probably figure which is which. lol

I recently sold one of those compact stocks here on RFC... FS: 10/22 Parts Kit For 80% Receivers
As you can see by the ad, I said the same thing as you. Those stocks ARE perfect for pre/early teens & petite ladies.

I chose the model 1168 because it comes with Williams fire-sights.

Interesting side note... with the 16" barrel I could not line up the sights, with 18.5" no problem - both factory barrels with standard iron sights.

I took the action out of the compact & put it into a factory sporter stock I got off Fleabay for $60 to the door.
Pix are in post #17 here... Feddersen Barrel in Factory Stock

I love the profile of that stock, fits me very well, only downside is weight - it's a heavy son-of-gun. Plan on taking steps to lighten it.

· Registered
1,186 Posts
One more note about Feddersen barrels... Mine are the contoured, NON-Bull barrel.
They are a FUNCTIONAL piece. Those wanting smooth and shiny will be disappointed. They have a rough finish, and are not exactly fine blued. The outsides of the barrels were a little rougher than I was expecting. A oily rag does not smoothly slide up and down the barrel.

From what I can tell... To make a contoured barrel, they put a bull barrel in a lathe, and coarsely turn it down... then lightly coat the rough finished piece with something black, and call it 'good'. Running your thumb nail up and down the barrel will create a 'zipping' sound, like a zip-tie. They also come with no provisions for sights.

That being said, outside polishing/finishing IS available. It just costs extra. I was quoted $50 over the phone.

I was thinking about getting one of their barrels for a CZ455 I have... and if I do... for that gun... will likely spend the extra money for a nicer finish.

Good Luck!

· Premium Member
7,111 Posts
One more note about Feddersen barrels... Mine are the contoured, NON-Bull barrel.
They are a FUNCTIONAL piece. Those wanting smooth and shiny will be disappointed. They have a rough finish, and are not exactly fine blued. The outsides of the barrels were a little rougher than I was expecting. A oily rag does not smoothly slide up and down the barrel.

From what I can tell... To make a contoured barrel, they put a bull barrel in a lathe, and coarsely turn it down... then lightly coat the rough finished piece with something black, and call it 'good'. Running your thumb nail up and down the barrel will create a 'zipping' sound, like a zip-tie. They also come with no provisions for sights.

That being said, outside polishing/finishing IS available. It just costs extra. I was quoted $50 over the phone.

I was thinking about getting one of their barrels for a CZ455 I have... and if I do... for that gun... will likely spend the extra money for a nicer finish.

Good Luck!
They offer polishing on all their barrels but I believe it says an extra 2 weeks. I assume by not polishing them it makes it easier to keep the cost down. And like you said if someone wants their barrel polished they can pay a little extra and get it done. You can also have them add the sights to the barrel for extra $.

· Registered
1,805 Posts
They offer polishing on all their barrels but I believe it says an extra 2 weeks. I assume by not polishing them it makes it easier to keep the cost down. And like you said if someone wants their barrel polished they can pay a little extra and get it done. You can also have them add the sights to the barrel for extra $.
But they also state that the sights can't be added to the contour barrels (only bull barrels).

· Registered
334 Posts

Good Luck!
And that is what they're famous for.

There not pretty like GM, TacSol, WP etc. But they eat ammo the others won't & give you tight groups in the process.

BUT, if you want pretty, well... there's always ceracoat :)

Be honest with you, I never heard of them before joining this forum. Having read the reviews, I can say I am very interested in getting one & trying it out.

If I like it, great, I'll get it ceracoated, so much for the rough finish.

· Registered
310 Posts
Fedderson barrels

I have 14 aftermarket 10/22 barrels. Only one is a contoured Fedderson barrel. Like the OP stated, it isn't a thing of beauty but it is a very accurate barrel. I will be purchasing more Fedderson barrels.

· Premium Member
7,111 Posts
But they also state that the sights can't be added to the contour barrels (only bull barrels).
I didn't realize that. Only have Feddersen .920 barrels.

· Registered
334 Posts
I didn't realize that. Only have Feddersen .920 barrels.
Here's a couple options for adding a front sight to bull barrels... NDS-22 Receivers & NDS-23 Front Sights - Have to scroll down a bit for the sights.

And this adapter from Tech Sights... .920 Barrel Dovetail Adaptor

Here's an alternative rear sight if the NoDak Spud offerings are not your cup of tea... UTG Sub-Compact Rear Sight - those are all over Fleabay for under $20 w/ship.

Don't work with factory Ruger 10/22 scope base's, BUT, fit perfectly on Warne M918 rear base.

I have several pix (different angles) of my UTG mounted to a Warne M918 rear base. Tried attaching it to this post, but for some reason I can't seem to attach pix on this forum - even after re-sizing & compressing them. Don't have issues with other forums, so beats the snot outta me.

Currently waiting for delivery of a ProMag stock. If fits me, then will probably get one of those NoDuck front sights to try out with the UTG at the rear.

If it works, great, still can't post pix....

· Registered
310 Posts
X22 stock

Mannlicher Fan,
Have you tried a Magpul X-22 stock? I have 2, one in a KIDD Super Grade and another all KIDD except the Ruger receiver. The Magpul can be adjusted to fit any body size. This particular rifle shoots as well as any 10/22 I have.. I did not like the Axiom stock at all. I do like the one Titan stock I purchased. I also like my latest Mannlicher stock.:)

· Registered
334 Posts
Mannlicher Fan,
Have you tried a Magpul X-22 stock? I have 2, one in a KIDD Super Grade and another all KIDD except the Ruger receiver. The Magpul can be adjusted to fit any body size. This particular rifle shoots as well as any 10/22 I have.. I did not like the Axiom stock at all. I do like the one Titan stock I purchased. I also like my latest Mannlicher stock.:)
Terry,
Bout a week ago I took the action from the carbine rifle seen in the very bottom of post #17 here... Feddersen barrel in factory stock to a local Sportsman's Warehouse to try it in one of those X-22 stocks. Didn't fit me as natural as the sporter stock seen in the above post. BUT, it was definitely one of the better aftermarket stocks I've tried, with the extra spacers doin a mix'n'match could probably get it dialed in. Sportsman's only had the earth-tone color - AND, priced @ $139.99

I think the above action would look far better in the grey X-22 & the greys are on fleabay for under $125 shipped.

Sportsman's had some other para-military lookin stock, tried it too, NO GO. When it comes to rifles, really sucks bein a southpaw.

The deal with ProMag is that I purchased one of these... Archangel Ruger Precision Stock - Bullseye Blue for my race rifle project. Tried it with the above action & could not get it to fit me despite the adjustability. Had it listed here & Ruger forum @ 1/2 the price of new & got nowhere.

Woke up feelin cocky one day. Called PM & asked them if the lifetime warranty applied to fitment :D

Long story short, they let me exchange it for one of these... Archangel Deluxe Target Stock for the Ruger 10/22 & paid return ship - this is the one I'm waitin for, should be here by next Friday. Based on past experience with a Boyd stock, I doubt it'll work for me; if no, then hopefully it'll be easier to sell than the blue stock was.

FWIW: the folder in post 17 is a ProMag, fits me just as good as the wood sporter above it.

While @ Sportsman's I checked out one of these... X-Ring Rifle with Hogue Stock - the one they had is purple.
IT IS A GORGEOUS rifle (it's taking every-bit of self control to NOT go & buy that rifle) & the stock fit me good too. SO, I ordered up one in Purple (for the carbine action in post 17), it's in transit from Optics Planet.

Also have a pair of OEM Ruger [silver] aluminum trigger housings on the way from Clark (they made an exception to the rule & sold them without a trigger job) pays to be a loyal customer.
The trigger groups in all three rifles in post 17 have Clark trigger jobs, sporter is in OEM Ruger alum housing, folder & carbine are in poly housings. The carbine's internals are going into one of the silver housings.

And I completely agree with you, those Axiom stock's suck big Johnson.

Back to your PM...

Regards,

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.